In plain and simple terms, a conditioner is anything that nourishes the hair, revives the nutrients, shine and texture of the hair after the use of shampoo. The conditioners first came into use in the year 1900 when Edouard Pinaud researched and discovered the conditioners and their properties. A conditioner is used as a hair care product and is generally a thick liquid solution, which can be applied on the hair after a wash and rinsed with water after sometime or left in the hair. The conditioners contain essential oils, moisturizing substances and sunscreens to protect the hair from damage from dust, sunlight and other atmospheric conditions. The conditioners are broadly classified into four types which are pack, leave in, ordinary and hold conditioners. Each of these types has different properties which enrich the hair in significant ways. While the pack conditioner is thick and heavy, it has high surfactants content which binds the hair together while the leave in conditioners add material and boost the volume of the hair. The ordinary conditioners combine the properties of leave in and pack. On the other hand hold conditioners are used to set the hair in a desired shape for some time. The use of conditioners is very essential to keep the hair healthy,
Benefits and uses of conditioner
The conditioners are recommended to be used post every wash. They can be used in a number of ways which benefit hair. Some benefits and uses of hair conditioners are given as follows:
- Conditioners are used to detangle hair and make them soft enough so that it is easier to comb the wet and dry hair and avoid breakage.
- They are used to enhance the shine, lustre and glossiness of the hair.
- Conditioners provide strength and weight to the hair. They enhance the volume of the hair and boost its growth.
- Hair which have been damaged physically can be revived using various conditioners specifically for the problems of the hair.
- They also improve the hair texture.
- Instantaneous benefits are provided by the conditioners.
- The major problem of wet hair is damage caused due to the towel while drying. This issue of hair breakage due to drying using towels is reduced by the use of conditioners.
- Usage of the conditioner does not depend on the type of hair or the quality of hair. The use of conditioner is essential to keep their hair strong and free from damage.
- Using the conditioner after each shampoo wash is very important, as shampoo cleans the hair as well as washes away the moisture and the essential oils and nutrients. This moisture, and the essential oils and nutrients are replenished by the application of conditioners.
- The conditioners used prior to the use of shampoos prepare the hair to be more receptacle for cleaning and soften them so that cleansing is proper.
- The use of shampoos that exhibit the properties of shampoos as well as conditioners are more beneficial for the hair as the shampoo does not dry or damage the hair to a great extent and at the same time nourishes and soothes the hair and adds moisture to them.
- Conditioners are helpful in detangling snags and knots in the hair.
- Oil based conditioners provide the benefits of oils as well as a conditioner and are helpful when the person needs soft, smooth and nourished hair in a faster way.
20 home remedies, how to use conditioner
Conditioners are available in the market but some products can be utilised at homes to provide effective remedies. Some easy home remedies are provided as follows:
- The whole egg can be used as a conditioner for the hair, specially dry and brittle hair. The white part of the egg adds moisture to the dry hair while the yolk gives softness. The entire egg can be mixed and applied on the hair and left for 30 minutes. It can be rinsed by cold water later.
- A conditioner made from lavender, thyme, rosemary and nettle is herbal in nature and vital for removing dandruff from the scalp. This mixture can be mixed with lemon juice and boiled in a pan and strained before application after a hair wash using a mild shampoo.
- Juice from bottle gourd can be extracted, applied to the hair and left for half an hour. Later it can be rinsed using cold water and will give efficient results.
- The therapy using baking soda is also very effective for the hair. Baking soda is mixed with water and applied on the hair after the shampoo hair wash. This can be left for 5 minutes as it removes the left over shampoo and excess styling material from the hair.
- Apple cider vinegar is mixed with warm water and the solution is applied on the hair for five minutes after which it is rinsed with water to condition the hair and give a bouncy look.
- Yogurt and eggs mixture acts as a conditioner rich in protein and should be applied over the scalp for about 5 to 10 minutes and then rinsed properly with water. It helps in deep conditioning from the roots.
- Heated almond oil mixed with a daily conditioner is also very effective.
- Lemon juice acts as a natural conditioner to get rid of dull and dry hair.
- A mixture of olive oil, honey and egg yolk acts as a natural home based conditioner remedy to treat hair damaged by the sun.
- Beer can be applied on wet hair and scalp and massaged for 20 minutes. After rinsing with water, the hair are conditioned in a way which makes them soft and smooth.
- A conditioner made using honey, banana and olive oil makes the hair soft and smooth. Banana prevents shrinking of hair and moisture is added to hair by olive oil and honey.
- A mixture of mayonnaise, eggs and yoghurt revives the essential oils present in the scalp and condition the hair to make the hair follicles strong and prevent dryness.
- Honey and coconut oil conditioner is easy to prepare at home. The coconut oil revives the keratin in the hair and honey makes them soft.
- Milk, honey and cinnamon conditioner is the best for hair which are frizzy. Cinnamon is essential for blood circulation in scalp and milk and honey add gloss and volume to the hair.
- Shea butter, avocado and apple cider vinegar conditioner is best for thick and wavy hair. It helps in detangling of hair.
- Coconut milk, orange and yoghurt conditioner helps in preventing dandruff, enhances hair growth and reduces hair breakage. This conditioner should be used at least once in a week.
- Vitamin E oil and shea butter are good conditioning ingredients and should be used twice in a month to prevent splits ends and add weight to the hair.
- Aloevera gel and sesame seed oil conditioner helps in preventing fungal and bacterial infections in the hair and scalp.
- One of the best conditioners made at home for oily hair is a mixture of mint and tea. Strengthening of hair and prevention of rashes in summers are the main benefits of this conditioner. This conditioner should be applied on the hair for two to three times a week for good results and to prevent the summer heat from damaging the hair.
- Banana and avocado is a pulpy conditioner to strengthen the hair and make them thick.
How safe it is to use conditioner, side effects
Conditioners are helpful in maintaining healthy hair and prevent them from damage. They are safe to use but excessive use might lead to some disadvantages. There are many homemade conditioners which have no side effects but some conditioners that are made chemically might have some side effects which are stated as follows:
- Some conditioners stop benefitting your hair after frequent use and tend to make their hair dry, brittle and frizzy. These conditioners should be replaced instantly with another one which suits the hair.
- Different hair type demand specific types of conditioners. If the desired one is not used they may have adverse effects.
- Chemicals used in artificial conditioners may have harmful effects and lead to hair damage and breakage, greying of hair and dryness of scalp.
- Using excess conditioners or over conditioning the hair makes them lifeless, and limp.
Precautions to use conditioner
Conditioners are essential for the hair but certain precautions need to be kept in mind while using them. Some precautions are as follows:
- One should not apply conditioner on the full length of the hair that is from the roots to the tip. This is because the hair grown near the scalp are new and are rich in the required nutrients while the hair near the tips are old and have suffered more damage. Therefore one should apply conditioner more on the hair that too closer to the tip of the hair rather than the scalp.
- Avoid warm water for washing hair with shampoo and conditioner.
- Hair should be washed once is 2 to 3 days and not very frequently to properly regulate the natural hair oils.
- Leave in conditioner should be applied before entering the swimming pool.
- The application of the conditioner should start from where the hair are the driest. Applying it directly on the scalp makes it oily.
- The conditioner used should be in accordance with the type of hair or it will be ineffective.
- The conditioner should be applied evenly and left for a considerable amount of time before rinsing to should proper effects on the hair.
Myths and Facts about conditioner
Conditioner is a very useful product essential for healthy hair. There are a certain myths and facts associated with the conditioners given as follows:
- Myth: Hair become greasy and oily after the use of conditioners.
Fact: If the conditioner is applied on correct areas, the moisture content will be replenished only in the dry and required areas and not over condition the hair where it is not required making it greasy.
- Myth: Conditioners often make the hair flat and less voluminous after application.
Fact: Different types of conditioners have different ingredients which are suitable for a specific type of hair. If the right conditioner is used it will have positive and desired effects on the hair, making them strong, glossy and voluminous.
- Myth: Conditioner should only be applied on damaged hair.
Fact: Conditioners restore the life in the hair by replenishing the essential oils and nutrients, so should be used compulsorily on damaged and dull hair. Moreover the conditioners also prevent more damage to the hair and keep the harmful atmospheric conditions away from the hair. Thus they should be used on healthy hair as well, to prevent their damage and to maintain their health
- Myth: Use of conditioners reduce the shine and glossiness of the hair.
Fact: Conditioners add smoothness and shine to the hair if applied correctly. They close the cuticles of the hair and provide sleekness and reflection to the hair making them brighter and shinier.
Frequently asked questions
Women have a lot of questions when it comes to the use of conditioners. Some frequently asked questions are answered as follows to satisfy the curiosity of the readers:
What is the minimum duration for which conditioner should be applied after hair wash?
Fifteen to twenty minutes is the optimal time duration for the conditioner to show positive effects on the hair.
A conditioner should be rinsed off with water after some time of its application. Should the water be warm or cold?
It is important that cold water is used to rinse off the conditioner, because warm water put directly on the scalp and roots can cause immediate dryness, nullifying the effect of the conditioner.
I have very long and smooth hair. Do I need to use a hair conditioner?
It is great that you have long, smooth and silky hair. This hair type is desirable by most individuals, but yes you should use a proper hair conditioner to maintain this health of your hair. Moreover, use of conditioner prevent damage from dust, smoke and heat and maintain the shine and nutrient balance in the hair.
Are the products like shampoo cum conditioner useful?
If the product suits your hair type and gives desirable results then there is no harm in using a two in one product having the properties of both shampoo and conditioner.