Dark elbows is a common issue that can stop you from wearing short sleeve dresses. In elbows and knees, the skin is thicker and there is no oil gland in this area, because of this elbows and knees of our body are naturally dry and if we do not maintain proper hygiene of this area, they become much darker than other parts of your body. Some other common causes of this darkness are:
- frequent rubbing
- overexposure to the sun
- genetic factors
- dry skin
- hormonal imbalance
- dead skin buildup and
- increased melanin pigment
How to get rid of dark elbows and knees naturally
The first task is to remove the layer of dead skin cells from these areas and then to apply some skin lightening masks. You can try below natural methods
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a good remedy to lighten dark knees and elbows. It has vitamin E that can help lighten the skin tone and prevent dryness by keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. It can even repair dark and damaged skin.
- After each shower or bath, apply coconut oil on your knees and elbows and massage gently for 1 to 2 minutes. Reapply several times a day to prevent dryness.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub this solution on your dark elbows and knees and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Wipe it off with paper towels. Do this once daily.
- You can also add enough coconut oil to 1 tablespoon of walnut powder to make a thick paste. Use it to exfoliate dark skin patches around your knees and elbows 2 or 3 times a week.
Lemon has natural bleaching as well as exfoliating properties. Also, it has a high amount of vitamin C that helps remove dead cells and lighten skin tone. It can also promote the regeneration of healthy skin cells.
- Apply lemon juice on your elbows and knees and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and apply a moisturizing lotion.
- You can also extract the juice of 1 lemon and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it on the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash the mixture off with water.
- Follow either of these remedies once daily for a couple of weeks. After applying lemon juice, avoid sun exposure for the next 3 hours.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps lighten skin color. It also cleanses and moisturizes the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of plain yogurt and white vinegar to get a smooth paste. Apply it on the affected areas and let it dry. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Do this daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour and 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on your darkened elbows or knees and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then, rub with wet fingers to remove the paste and rinse with water. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
To lighten the skin tone of your knees and elbows, you can also use a homemade sugar scrub. Sugar granules help exfoliate dead skin cells and soften the skin.
- Mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and elbows and rub it around using circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild soap and warm water.
- Do this once daily until the skin tone around your knees and elbows lightens.
Repeat this treatment on a weekly basis.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda acts as a gentle cleanser, hence it is effective for treating dark knees and elbows. It can help remove dead skin cells and reduce hyper-pigmentation that forms around the knees and elbows.
- Prepare a paste with 1 tablespoon each of milk and baking soda.
- Apply it on the affected areas and rub it around in circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry the area thoroughly.
- Repeat every other day until you get the desired results.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural skin lightener that will also keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. It can help maintain even skin tone and promote the repair of skin cells damaged by sun exposure.
- Extract the gel by breaking open a fleshy aloe vera leaf.
- Apply it to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times daily for a few weeks.
Turmeric is a great spice which has been used for skin lightening and brightening purposes in India for centuries. This fact is also backed by science as turmeric contains a compound called curcumin in it which aids in this property as it has inhibits the production of melanin in the skin. Thus, it can help lighten your elbows and knees too.
- First of all, take a little bit of turmeric and mix it with some lemon juice so that you can obtain a smooth paste-like mixture.
- After that, apply the mixture all over your knees and/or elbows.
- Lastly, let is stay on your skin for about 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off once it has dried somewhat.
- Use this remedy every other day and soon you will have gotten rid of the darkness on your knees and elbows.
Cucumber is highly soothing and hydrating to the skin and also possesses decent bleaching properties which can help lighten the complexion of the skin. It also helps in exfoliating and cleansing the skin and it also helps keep it moisturized. It also contains essential vitamins for the skin that keep it healthy and fresh.
- First of all, take a fresh cucumber and cut off a few thick slices.
- After that, massage your elbows and knees by rubbing the cucumber slices on them for about 15 minutes.
- Lastly, let your elbows and knees be for about 5 minutes before rinsing them with cold water.
- You can use this remedy every single day to help lighten your knees and elbows rapidly.
9. Olive oil
Olive oil is quite nourishing and hydrating to the skin. It can help protect the elbows and knees from turning dark due to its shielding characteristics. Moreover, it will also help make your elbows and knees smooth and soft. Scrubs made with olive oil are brilliant for this purpose as they will exfoliate the skin also so that the nutrients of the olive oil get absorbed more easily.
- First of all, take about a tbsp of olive oil and combine it with some sugar so that you can obtain a scrub.
- After that, massage your elbows and knees by using the resultant scrub to rub on your skin gently in circular motions.
- Lastly, leave the scrub on your skin for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off using warm water.
- You should use this scrub 3 or 4 times every week to rapidly treat your elbows and knees and lighten their hyperpigmentation.