Pimples are clogged hair follicles that have excess oil on the skin trapped in them. This can be easily treated through a variety of means like ointments, natural remedies and prescriptions.
A pimple on the lip is quite rare but when it does occur, it seems to be quite painful as the lip is one of the most sensitive areas of the body. The pimple is not on the lip since there are no sweat glands on the lips, but it is on the outer lining of the lip. It is very hard to avoid the pimple as it irritates when one drinks or eats anything and even when one speaks. Any motion to that part of the lip causes pain.
Causes for pimples on lip
- Using poor quality lip products like lip gloss, lip balm, lipstick. These products may contain chemicals that could cause a negative reaction with the skin.
- A particular ingredient on a lip product (even branded ones) may be allergic to the person, resulting in pimples.
- Expired products can also cause pimples.
- Hormonal changes in the body like pregnancy, stress, puberty or menstruation may result in pimples on the lip due to excess body heat.
- Smoking can cause one to develop pimples on the lip more often.
- Oily and greasy lips, if not washed and cleaned in time can lead to the build-up of pimples.
20 home remedies to treat pimple on lip
Lemon juice has a high content of vitamin C which is good for all types of skin. The acidic property really helps well as a skin exfoliator. It is also an astringent which means, it hastens the process of drying out pimples.
- Squeeze out 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Using a cotton pad, dab the juice on the pimple.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times in a day, every day for the best results.
Toothpaste has a blend of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, menthol and alcohol which helps to dry out pimples faster. This remedy works best when one uses a white toothpaste and not with whitening gel or coloured toothpaste.
- Squeeze out the toothpaste from the tube and apply it on the pimples.
- Leave it on for 2-6 hours. It can also be left overnight.
- Wipe it off using a damp cloth and apply a moisturizer like a lip balm.
- Repeat this process once a day, for two weeks.
Turmeric contains antiseptic properties that kill the bacteria that cause pimples and also prevents pimples from being formed. It is also an antioxidant which treats pimples and the inflammation caused by it.
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with a few drops of water forming a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the pimple and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse it with cold water.
- This process should be done once or twice in a day, until the pimple subsides.
Garlic has anti-bacterial properties and also has some sulphur content which is beneficial in removing pimples. Garlic also has many other medicinal properties like anti-biotic, anti-fungal and anti-septic.
- Cut garlic cloves into two parts and rub the pieces on the pimples.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it off with soap.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times in a day for a week.
Ice helps improves blood circulation which in turn treats pimples on the lip. Ice reduces inflammation and reduces pain caused by the pimple.
- Wrap a few ice cubes or some crushed ice in a cloth and gently place it on the pimple, which is on the lip, for a few seconds.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes and again press the ice-pack on the pimple. Continue doing this for 5-10 minutes.
- Use this remedy 3 times in a day for 2 days to be completely relieved of the pimple.
The peel of an orange has properties that help remove oil along with dead skin cells that clog the pores. The vitamin C in the peel also assures growth of healthy skin cells.
- The orange peel should be dried out and ground into a powder.
- Add a teaspoon of water or a little more to the powder, to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected part of the lip and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it clean using warm water.
- Repeat this process once every day to notice results.
Cinnamon is really beneficial in treating pimple on the lip due to its antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon to 2 tablespoons of honey and make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the pimple and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry the face. Apply moisturiser on the lips.
- Do this method once a day for the best results.
Apple cider vinegar has properties that successfully kill the bacteria responsible for pimples and also prevents them from recurring.
- Mix one part apple cider vinegar with 3 parts water.
- Dip a cotton pad in the solution and dab it on the affected part of the lip.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with water. Apply moisturiser to prevent dryness.
- Repeat this process twice a day for quick results.
Neem Leaves, also called Margosa Leaves, have antifungal, antibacterial and blood purifying properties.
- Grind in 4-5 neem leaves thoroughly to form a paste. Add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to the paste.
- Apply it on the pimple on lip and leave it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this process once every day till the pimple reduces and fades away.
Steam opens up the clogged pores and releases all the impurities and bacteria trapped in it.
- Pour boiling water into a large bowl. Allow the temperature to decrease a little so that the steam does not harm the skin.
- Place the face over the bowl and use a towel to cover the head and bowl so that the steam is trapped in.
- Remove the towel after 15 minutes and pat dry the face and apply a lip moisturiser.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a day, every day, for the best results.
Castor oil unclogs pores by absorbing the impurities from within. It has antibacterial properties which help get rid of pimple-causing bacteria.
- Add 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to one tablespoon of castor oil and mix it well.
- Apply one drop of this mixture on the pimple and the area around it.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Repeat this process every day to see quicker results.
Honey has a low pH level because of which bacteria cannot survive and get eliminated. It also helps to dry out the pimple.
- Take one teaspoon of honey and apply it on the affected part of the lip.
- Leave it on for an hour and then wash thoroughly and apply moisturiser.
- Repeat this process three times in a day.
Tomato has organic acids that have antimicrobial properties. The vitamin C in this helps to repair damaged skin cells.
- Cut a small tomato into small pieces and mash it.
- Put a few drops of this mashed pulp on the pimple and let it dry. The remaining pulp can be stored in the fridge and can be used during the day.
- Rinse it after 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a day.
Tea tree oil is considered one of the go-to remedies for pimple treatment due to its high potency in killing the pimple causing bacteria.
- Dilute 2 drops of tea tree oil in one teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Apply this mix on the affected area of the lip and leave it on.
- The remedy does not require rinsing.
- Repeat this method twice in a day.
Olive oil contains antibacterial properties that kill the germs that cause pimples. It also has antioxidants that help in reducing the marks caused by the pimple.
- Warm up one tablespoon of olive oil.
- As soon as it turns warm, apply the oil on the pimple.
- Wash thoroughly after 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process every day for the best results.
Almonds contain properties that help eradicate pimples from the lip and also prevent it from coming again.
- Take two almonds and crush them, turning into powder form.
- Add 1-2 drops of milk to form a paste
- Apply this paste directly on the pimple.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash it off after that.
- Repeat this process once a day for getting the best results.
Coffee contributes to skincare by deep exfoliation. It also improves blood circulation which results in the subsiding of pimples. Coffee wipes away the dead skin cells, thus giving one a clear and smooth skin.
- Take a pinch of coffee powder and mix it with 2 drops of water.
- Massage this mixture on the lip pimple and leave it on for 15 minutes after which it should be washed off with water.
- Repeat this process once a day.
Papaya contains enzymes that have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. These enzymes help exfoliate the skin and also protect it from free radicals that cause pimples.
- Mash a few pieces of papaya.
- Mix this pulp with 1 tablespoon of milk. It will form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the pimple and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process once every day.
Rosewater contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the redness and irritation caused by pimples. It is a good cleanser as it removes oil and dirt from the pores of the skin, clearing the pimple completely.
- Mix equal parts of rosewater and lemon juice, thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture on the pimple and leave it on for half an hour.
- Wash the face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process twice a day, for a week to notice positive results.
Scientists have proven that by drinking wheatgrass juice as well as applying it on the lips, pimples have reduced considerably and also re-appeared rarely.
- Place half a cup of wheatgrass in a blender along with 2-3 cups of water and blend it.
- Pour the blended liquid through a fine sieve and add lemon into the juice for flavour.
- Drink a glass and apply a bit of the juice on the pimple on the lip.
- Wash the lips after 5 minutes.
- One can have this drink 2-3 times in a day as long as it does not irritate the stomach.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydrated lips that cause pimples.
- Do not share the lip cosmetic with anyone else as it can be easily contaminated.
- A good hygiene should be maintained at all times.
- Do not try to pop the pimple.
- Refrain from wearing lip make-up when there is a pimple.
Myths and Facts
Myth: One should stop eating chocolates in order to reduce the pimple on the lip.
Fact: This is not true. It is a proven fact that food intake is related to the onset of pimples but chocolates are not the problem, rather cocoa is not the problem. The sugar and dairy in chocolates have a high glycaemic index and this is the main issue, so one can eat dark chocolate which has low glycaemic index.
Myth: Stress does not cause pimples.
Fact: This is untrue. Stress is known to create a hormonal imbalance in the body and this imbalance leads to pimples. Stress does cause pimples and they can occur anywhere in the body, even on the lips.
OTC Products effective for pimple on lip
- Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment
- Benzoyl Peroxide Zit Treatment Cream or Gel
- Acure Moroccan Argan Oil
- Differin Gel
- Clearasil Rapid Action Pads
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How is pimple on the lip different from cold sores?
A: Initially, a cold sore on or around the lip may look similar to a pimple on the lip but in a day or two, one can notice a distinction. Cold sores will have a tingling sensation, while pimples will have puss formed in it, which cold sores do not have. Cold sores are dark pink in colour while, pimples are darker with a raised bump and a head.
Q: Is the use of baking soda safe of treating pimples?
A: Baking soda does help in treating pimples but it is advisable to not use it directly on the lips as the lips are very sensitive. However, using products that contain baking soda as one of the ingredients, like toothpaste, is safe.