Tanning is a process by which our skin color gets darkened on exposure to the sun. Our skin turns dark to avoid damage due to the UV radiation from the sun. It is a very common process and occurs on excess exposure to the sun. Tanning is also caused by artificial methods like using tanning lamps in indoor tanning beds. Tanning becomes an addiction for some people and so artificial tanning methods have been found. Although, the artificial tanning method is more harmful than natural tanning.
How is tanning harmful?
Some amount of exposure to the sun is important for us for the formation of Vitamin D and melanin, but excess exposure can lead to sunburns, skin cancer and various other skin diseases. Tanning also lowers our beauty levels as our skin tone becomes uneven and this leads to certain emotional problems. All in all, tanning is more harmful than useful for the body. In this article, we will discuss some methods on how to get rid of a tan. With the growing heat, global warming, and depletion of the ozone layer, it has become important for us to be cautious about our skin’s health.
Mentioned below are 20 ways on how to get rid of a tan –
Lemon Juice –
- Squeeze a lemon and apply the lemon juice all over the tanned region.
- Let it stay for about 10-15 minutes and then take a shower. Lemon is very effective in removing tan at home because of its skin lightening properties.
- You can apply lemon juice to your tanned skin once or twice every day.
The mixture of Lemon juice, Cucumber, and Rosewater –
- Mix one tablespoon each of lemon juice, cucumber extract and rose water.
- Now apply this mixture to the tanned region and leave it for 10-15 minutes, then rinse it off.
- This can be applied to the affected areas on a daily basis for quick results.
Besan and Turmeric pack –
- Mix two tablespoons of besan to one tablespoon each of rose water and milk and add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Mix the pack thoroughly and then apply this evenly to the tanned region.
- Let the pack dry and then remove it by scrubbing gently using some water.
- This can be done every alternate day for good results.
Aloe Vera, Tomato and Red Lentil pack –
- Mix one tablespoon each of red lentil powder, tomato juice and Aloe Vera extract and make a paste.
- Now apply this pack on your face and let it settle for half an hour.
- Rinse your face with cold water.
- This pack can be used every alternative day for two weeks and then twice a week.
Honey and papaya –
- Mash ½ cup sliced papaya and add one tablespoon of honey to it.
- Apply this honey and papaya mixture to your face and let it settle for half an hour before you rinse it with warm water.
- Use this pack on your tanned region thrice a week for great results.
Buttermilk and oatmeal –
- Mix three tablespoons of buttermilk and two tablespoons of oatmeal together.
- Gently massage the paste on the tanned areas for some time and then rinse it off with cold water.
- This method can be used twice a week.
Curd and tomato pack – Here’s how to get rid of a tan using just curd and tomato.
- Simply mix one tablespoon each of curd and tomato juice and apply this paste to your face.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
- This pack can be applied twice or thrice a week for good results.
Curd and orange juice –
- Mix one tablespoon each of orange juice and curd and apply this to the affected region.
- Let it stay for about an hour and then rinse it with water.
- You can use this on a daily basis and the results will be visible in a couple of days.
Strawberry and milk pack –
- Crush about 4-5 strawberries and mix them with 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix the ingredients and prepare a smooth paste and apply it on the tanned area.
- Let the pack settle for about half an hour and then rinse it off with cold water.
- This preparation can be applied twice a week.
Lemon juice and potato pack –
- Extract the potato juice from a medium-sized potato and mix it with one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Now, apply this to the tanned region and let it dry for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water and pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
- This can be used daily until you see visible changes in your body tan.
Sandalwood pack – Here’s how to get rid of a tan using sandalwood powder and rose water.
- Simply mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder and rose water and prepare a smooth paste.
- Now, apply this paste to the affected region and rinse it once it is dried.
- Apply this pack every alternative night to obtain good results.
Coconut water and Sandalwood powder –
- Mix one tablespoon each of coconut water and sandalwood powder.
- Apply it to your face and then wash it off with cold water when it has completely dried.
- This can be used twice or thrice a week for removing tan effectively.
Honey and Pineapple pack –
- Evenly mix one tablespoon pineapple pulp and one tablespoon honey and make a paste.
- Now apply this paste to the affected region and let it dry for 10-15 minutes before you rinse it with normal water.
Milk and Turmeric Pack –
- Mix a pinch of turmeric to 1-2 tablespoons of milk, apply this solution to the tanned area and then let it dry naturally.
- Once it dries, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- This method can be carried on a daily basis until your tan fades away.
Cabbage Leaves –
- This might sound weird but you just simply have to put come cabbage leaves over the tanned areas on your skin for 15-20 minutes.
- This effectively fades away your tan in few days.
- You can repeat this process daily as much as you want to.
Vicks Vaporub – The petroleum jelly present in Vicks Vaporub is helpful in the removal of tan.
- Simply apply some Vicks Vaporub to the tanned region on your body every night until your tan fades away. Trust me this is an effective remedy!
Bitter Gourd –
- Extract the juice from a small piece of bitter gourd and then massage it onto your tanned region for one or two minutes.
- Now leave the region untouched for 5 minutes and then wash it with normal water.
- You can repeat this process twice a day for better results.
Plain Yoghurt pack –
- Apply yoghurt over your tan before 10-15 minutes of taking a shower.
- You can repeat this process every time you have to take a shower and this will fade away your tan in few days.
Ice cubes –
- Simply rub some ice cubes on the tanned or sunburnt region of your body.
- You can repeat this process whenever you find time and until your tan fades away.
Gram Flour – Here’s all you need to know on how to get rid of a tan using gram flour.
- Just simply mix two tablespoons of gram flour and some rose water to make a paste.
- Apply it to your face and neck and let it stay for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water. Find effective results by using it twice a week.
Myths and Facts
|A base tan protects the skin from damage.
||A base tan can make our skin more prone to sunburns.
|Sun is the best source to receive vitamin D.
||It is safer to consume vitamin D through a diet. Hence, avoid tanning.
|Tanning is somewhat good for the skin.
||Tanning sometimes causes permanent damage to the skin leading to wrinkles, age spots etc.
|Tanning causes permanent darkening of the skin.
||Tanning can be removed using various home remedies and chemicals.
|Tanning is healthy.
||Tanning increases the risk of skin cancer and various other skin diseases.
|Indoor tanning is safer than Sun tanning.
||Sometimes the radiations from the tanning beds are even higher than that of the sun.
|Indoor tanning is beneficial.
||Indoor tanning causes skin ageing and the weakening of the immune system.
|Indoor tanning doesn’t lead to Melanoma
||UV exposure from the indoor tanning beds can cause melanoma cancer.
|Tanning is of no use.
||Tanning is beneficial in raising the amount of vitamin D in our bodies.
Precautions to avoid tanning
- Apply sunscreen before going into sunlight or tanning beds. Sunscreens protect us from harmful UV radiation from the sun and tanning lamps.
- Carry your sunglasses and sun caps or hats with you whenever you decide to go out in the sun. Sun caps and hats can protect our face from tanning and sunglasses protect the eyes from any sort of damage due to UV radiation.
- Keep applying sunscreen on your skin at regular intervals because its effect tends to get reduced over time.
- Do not stay in the sun for long intervals. Some amount of exposure to the sun is good but excess exposure can cause various skin diseases.
- Wear full sleeves clothes whenever you plan to go out on a sunny day. Cover your body as much as you can so that most parts of your body are saved from the bad impacts of tanning.
- Avoid going outdoors during peak sunlight hours to prevent getting contact with high radiation levels at that time.
Over the counter medicines available
- Nature’s Essence Lacto Tan Remover – This cream contains milk proteins, honey and geranium oil and is very useful for tan removal. Moreover, this cream is helpful in the restoration of actual fairness of the skin and removal of pigmentation.
- Lotus Herbals White Glow Skin Whitening and Brightening Gel Crème – This product consists of grape extracts, mulberry extracts and milk enzymes which act as fairness agents and help in tan removal. They also provide protection from harmful UV radiation from the sun.
- Auravedic Pure Brightening Whitening Radiance Sunblock Lotion SPF 30 – This lotion from Auravedic is very beneficial for repairing damaged skin cells and removal of tan. It is helpful in protecting from harmful UV radiation.
- VLCC Anti-Tan Facial Kit – This kit is helpful in the effective removal of tan and repairing of damaged skin cells. It consists of a scrub, a detan gel, a detan pack, a massage cream and a detan powder. All the products are prepared using old Ayurvedic recipes.
- Fair and Flawless Suntan Removal Cream – This cream is useful in the removal of tan and pigmentation. It also helps in regaining the glow of the skin and improving its tone.
FAQ on tanning
QUE. At what age should I start getting tanned?
ANS. You should be at least 16+ to deliberately carry out the process of tanning on your skin.
QUE. Why is tanning essential to some extent?
ANS. Tanning is essential for our body as it is caused due to exposure to light which leads to the synthesis of vitamin D in our body.
QUE. When should I go for my next tanning session?
ANS. You should wait at least 2 days before getting tanned again. Overexposure to UV radiation can be harmful to you.
QUE. Can I take a shower right after a tanning session?
ANS. Yes, you can take a shower after a tan, your tan won’t get washed off or something like that.
QUE. Should I get tanned if I’m pregnant?
ANS. No, tanning should be avoided in case you are pregnant because UV radiations may harm your child to be by causing excessive heat inside the uterus.
QUE. Is wearing Eye goggles while tanning really necessary?
ANS. Yes, wearing eye goggles is really necessary while getting tanned because your eyes can get damaged due to the UV radiation you come in contact with while tanning.
QUE. Is tanning a permanent effect?
ANS. Tanning is completely temporary and can be removed using various tan removal creams available in the market and various home remedies too.