Boils are infections caused due to the bacterium called Staphylococcus aureus in the hair follicles or oil glands of our body. They cause swelling around the hair follicle due to the accumulation of dead tissues and pus in that region. They are painful and look really odd.
What causes boils?
This infection is caused due to the Collagen positive S. aureus bacterium as this bacterium has the ability to produce certain enzymes that contribute to blood clotting. The blood gets clotted resulting in swelling in that region and eventually pus is formed. They begin with reddening of the skin and then getting swollen to become boils. Boils can be formed at any part of the skin, especially on the face and pubic region (after you shave).
What are the symptoms of boils?
You will see a hard, red, and swollen region in your body that will be painful. In few days it will become softer and larger and will develop pus in it. You may get a temperature, more boils may generate near the boil present in your body.
Boils are not a serious infection and they generally don’t need any medical treatment, they can be identified and treated at home. However, in some cases, the condition gets worse and it becomes necessary to consult a doctor. If you witness constant and unbearable pain, if the boil is taking too long to drain then it’s time to see a good physician and get yourself treated.
Home Remedies for Boils
Warm Compress –
- Simply dip a clean cloth in some hot water with some salt in it.
- Now, apply the dipped cloth on the boil and let it stay for 10-15 minutes.
- Do this process five to six times a day to get quick relief from boils.
Turmeric – Turmeric is well known for its anti-inflammatory and blood purifying properties. It is one of the most effective remedies to treat boils.
- Just mix a tablespoon full of turmeric into a glass of warm milk or water and drink this medicinal liquid two to three times a day.
Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is a renowned antiseptic and is effective in curing various skin infections.
- You simply have to apply some tea tree oil to the boil.
- You can apply this oil whenever you feel your boil is dry and ready to have some oil applied again.
Castor Oil – Castor oil is well known for its antiseptic properties and it is effective in curing boils.
- You simply have to apply some castor oil to the boil using some cotton and the toxic material present in the boil will come out quickly.
- Simply heat a cup of milk and add three teaspoons of salt and bread crumbs to make it thick.
- Now apply this thick paste to the boil and repeat this task many times a day. This is one of the amazing home remedies for boils.
Onion – Onion is a good antimicrobial and antiseptic vegetable and it is one of the most effective home remedies for boils.
- You simply have to cut a slice of onion and tie it on the region of boil using a clean cloth so that the effectiveness of onion is increased.
- Apply onion to the boil around 3-4 times a day for quick results.
Egg – Egg white effectively cures boils.
- You just have to boil an egg, separate out the egg white, wet it and then apply it to the boil.
- You can tie it with the help of a clean cloth too.
Corn Meal –
- You simply have to boil some water and add some cornmeal to it to prepare a thick paste.
- Now apply this thick paste to the boil several times a day until the pus is drained out.
Hot cup –
- Boil a cup in water and safely place it directly on the boil before taking it out from boiling water.
- This will help in elevating the blood pressure in the region and the pus will be drained out easily.
Cumin seeds –
- Grind some cumin seeds and add some water to make a thick paste.
- Now apply this paste to the boil and let it stay.
- You can apply this cumin paste to boil around 2-3 times a day.
Parsley leaves –
- Simply boil some parsley leaves and then prepare a paste of them.
- Now apply this paste directly to the boil and cover it with a clean cloth.
- This parsley paste can be applied to the boil 2-3 times a day to help the boil cure at a quick pace.
Kalonji – Kalonji or black seeds are very effective in curing various skin infections and diseases.
- Just prepare a paste of black seeds using some water and apply it to the affected region.
- This can help in curing the boil at a faster rate.
Neem – Neem is a well known medicinal plant and it has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It is one of the effective home remedies for boils.
- Simply make a paste of some neem leaves and apply it to the boil.
- This will help the boil to burst and drain sooner and will provide you relief.
Bread Bandage – Bread that is an easily available product at home is very effective in curing boils.
- Simply dip a slice of bread into hot milk or water and then apply it on the affected region like a bandage.
- This can be applied to the boil twice a day for effective results.
Garlic – Garlic has effective properties to treat boils.
- Simply make some garlic paste and apply it directly to the boil to cure it quickly and effectively.
- This garlic paste can be applied to boil 2-3 times a day.
Jaiphal – Jaiphal stimulates the blood circulation of our body and so will one of the effective home remedies for boils.
- Just mix half a teaspoon of nutmeg or jaiphal in one cup of hot milk and drink this mixture on a daily basis. This will help in curing the boil at a quicker rate.
Eucalyptus oil –
- Simply mix 3-4 drops of eucalyptus oil with 25 grams of slippery elm powder.
- Add some hot water to the mixture to prepare a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the boil and repeat the process several times a day until the pus drains out.
- You just have to use a marshmallow leaf as a bandage over the boil so that the pus is trained out soon.
Epsom Salt –
- Simply fill your bathtub with hot water and add some Epsom salt to it.
- Take a bath and see the instant effect of Epsom salt on your boils.
- Take a bath in Epsom salt water daily for quick results.
Hing and Tulsi –
- Make a paste of tulsi leaves and ginger and then add some hing to it.
- Apply this paste the boil directly for effective results.
- Apply this hing and tulsi paste to the boil two times a day.
- Always take good care of your hygiene. Be regular with your bathing sessions. Take a bath daily to wash away the bacteria present on your skin. It is essential to take a bath after you sweat to avoid any bacteria from infecting your skin.
- Use antibacterial soaps or body washes while taking a bath for the effective removal of bacteria from your body.
- Make sure that you dry your skin completely after taking a bath. This is because bacteria grow better in a warm and damp environment.
- Take two or three bleach baths in a week to keep your skin disease resistant and to avoid boils.
- Always wear clean and loose-fitting clothes to avoid any sort of infection in your body. Never wear clothes that you had sweated in earlier.
- Don’t borrow or share any personal care products because bacteria are spread through this method. This will lead you to acquire the same disease as the person you borrowed a product from.
- Always use shaving gel on damp skin so that the movement of the razor is smooth and boils are avoided.
- If you happen to be wounded, make sure to clean the wound properly with water first and then an antiseptic. This will decrease the chances of spreading any infection.
- Always eat a healthy diet so that your immune system stays strong and infections are easily avoided.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water especially in hot and humid weather to help prevent boils.
Myths and Facts
|Boils are caused due to consumption of non-vegetarian food.
|Boils are caused due only due to infection caused by S. Aureus bacteria.
|Mangoes cause boils, as they are hot.
|Mango season is generally hot and humid and bacteria are most available at this time, so mangoes seem to be causing boils that are actually caused by S. Aureus bacteria.
|Boils do not spread from one person to another.
|Boils are contagious.
OTC Products Effective For Boils
- Amoxicillin – This antibiotic, Amoxicillin, is used in the treatment of various skin infections caused by different microorganisms. It stops the growth of the infection-causing bacteria and cures the infection effectively.
- Ampicillin – Ampicillin is an antibiotic that is generally prescribed for treating skin infections and respiratory tract infections. It is capable of curing boils, pneumonia, bronchitis etc.
- Cefaclor – This antibiotic is effective in curing various infections caused by bacteria on the skin, in the urinary tract, throat lungs etc. it is effective in curing boils.
- Nitrofurazone – Nitrofurazone is also an antibiotic and is prescribed in case of skin infections caused due to burns. It treats boils effectively.
- Povidone Iodine – This antibiotic should be taken in case of infected wounds and other skin infections. It kills the bacteria and removes the infection from the body.
- Sodium Fusidate – This antibiotic is consumed in case of various skin infections like boils, osteomyelitis, etc.
FAQ on boils
QUE. How do I catch the early symptoms of boils?
ANS. It is simple, you just have to keep a check on areas in your skin where you can see a large portion reddened and inflated. It is about to become a boil with pus in it within a few days.
QUE. Does the boil have to drain in order to be cured?
ANS. Yes, boils are clusters of body waste and toxic material for our bodies. The pus inside the boil needs to be expelled out in order to be cured of a boil completely and to avoid more boils.
QUE. Are boils a matter to worry about?
ANS. You need not worry about boils until you are getting frequent boils or you get boils in clusters. You need to see a physician in case of constant or collective occurrence of boils.
QUE. Are boils infectious?
ANS. Yes, boils are caused due to bacteria called S. Aureus that can spread from person to person if you come in contact with an infected person.
QUE. Why did I get a boil?
ANS. Boils are caused due to bacteria and this bacterium infects your skin when you don’t take good care of hygiene. Regular bathing with proper antibacterial soaps is necessary to avoid various skin diseases.
QUE. Should I treat my boil at home?
ANS. It is very much safe to cure your boil at home if you have got only one or two. In case of continuous and collective eruption consult a physician as soon as possible to avoid any further complications.
QUE. Why do I keep getting boils over and over again?
ANS. Boils causing bacteria can be prevented from infecting our skin if our immune system is strong enough. Generally, people with a weak immune system are the ones who are more prone to such skin ailments as boils.
QUE. What is the best way to avoid getting boils?
ANS. The best way is to eat a healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals that keep your immune system healthy and strong to fight the bacteria that cause boils. Moreover, regular bathing washes off harmful bacteria from our body keeping our skin healthy.