Dry skin is a challenge faced by almost everyone at least once in their lifetime. Even people having excessively oily skin suffer from dry spells from time to time. It is the lack of moisture or water in the skin that makes it so dry and flaky. Change in the weather, using an excess amount of skin cleansers, too many hot showers and stuff like harsh chemicals in the detergents and soap can also leave the face dry.
Here are some home remedies to counter the effect and get the moisture back in your skin:
Sebum is the oil produced naturally in our bodies. Jojoba oil has properties like that of sebum and hence is an excellent remedy for dry and flaky skin. It promotes new skin growth and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Jojoba Oil
- Warm Water
- Place the washcloth to soak in a bowl of warm water for two to three minutes.
- Squeeze the excess water from the washcloth by twisting it then place it over your face for 7 -10 minutes.
- The steam and warmth from the washcloth will open the blocked pores on your face.
- After removing the washcloth, massage your face with a little bit of jojoba oil in a gentle circular motion for five to seven minutes.
- Leave the oil to soak into your skin for 15 minutes. Wash your face with the same warm washcloth.
- Repeat this process once a day to rejuvenate the skin on your face.
The healthy amino acids and fats present in the milk powder tackle dry skin by keeping it moisturized and hydrated for a longer period. Using this remedy regularly will have a lot of benefits.
- Milk Powder
- Mix two teaspoons of milk powder with a little bit of turmeric to give a pleasant aroma.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the mixture to get a thick paste-like texture.
- Gently apply this paste all over your face like a face pack and leave it aside for 10 minutes to dry completely.
- Wash off the face pack using cold water splashes.
- Repeat this procedure twice a week to get rid of the dry skin.
Banana is one of the best ingredients to fight dry skin because it has great moisturizing abilities. It opens the pores on the skin and hydrates them. Apart from healing dry skin, banana also fights the signs of premature aging like wrinkles and lines.
- Peel a fully ripe banana and smash it finely using a spoon.
- Add coconut oil one teaspoon at a time in the banana and mix it well until a smooth paste is obtained.
- Apply a thin layer of this beneficial paste on your face and around the neck for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water and repeat once or twice a week.
Green tea has one of the highest antioxidant content in tea and is very beneficial for the skin. It counters the oxidative stress on the skin which is one of the major causes for skin getting dry and dehydrated.
- Green tea leaves
- Fresh cream
- Add half a teaspoon of green tea leaves to a tablespoon of fresh cream. If it doesn’t mix well or you aren’t comfortable with the grainy texture, then you can crush the tea leaves into a fine powder as well.
- Mix the ingredients together and leave them aside for some time.
- Before applying the pack to your face give it a strong mix to release all the anti-oxidants from green tea.
- Massage your face for 3-4 minutes using this paste and then leave it to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off using water and try to use this face pack twice a week.
Multani mitti is clay with various features. It is equally beneficial for oily as well as dry skin. It has a soothing and cooling effect which when paired with the proper ingredients give new energy to an otherwise dull face.
- Multani Mitti
- Cucumber Juice
- Honey or Milk
- In a small bowl mix two tablespoons of Multani mitti and a tablespoon of cucumber juice to make a paste.
- Add enough honey or milk depending on whether the paste is too runny or too thick. There shouldn’t be any lumps or grains remaining in the paste.
- Apply this paste on your face like a face pack for 15 for 20 minutes until it gets completely dried.
- Wash off your face using plain water and then tap it dry with a towel.
- Use this refreshing natural face pack once a week for best results.