Castor Oil is a type of vegetable oil that is obtained by crushing the seeds of the castor oil plant. The castor oil plant, whose biological name is Ricinus communis, is grown in abundance in India and some parts of central Africa but is used very prominently all around the world. This is because castor oil has a ton of uses and is very beneficial for the skin and hair. Castor oil has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties along with minerals, proteins and vitamins like Vitamin E which is very advantageous for weak and damaged hair.
Benefits and Uses of Castor Oil for Hair
- Castor oil contains omega-6 essential fatty acids and ricinoleic acid which improve the blood circulation in the scalp & controlling hair fall and promoting hair growth. Castor oil helps the hair to fight against pollution and the sun by protecting the hair follicles and strengthening the roots of the hair so that it can grow properly.
- Castor oil also provides relief from the itching and scratching due to dandruff. It has antimicrobial and antifungal properties which inhibit the growth of bacteria on hair which causes dandruff.
- Combining natural oils like jojoba or olive oil with castor oil while applying on your hair will reduce the splits ends in your hair. It will also prevent the hair from becoming all frizzy and curly when you enter a humid environment. Castor oil also prevents your hair from getting brittle and dry.
- One of the greatest benefits of castor oil is its ability to stop premature greying of hair. Applying a mixture of castor oil and mustard seed oil on your grey strands will turn them black again.
Home Remedies of Castor Oil for Hair
Prevents Breakage of Hair Strands
Ingredients Required: Castor Oil, Coconut Oil
- Put a tablespoon of castor oil and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a small container.
- Mix the oils thoroughly by covering the lid and shaking the container.
- Make a hot water bath in a big pan and place the container in it.
- Damp your hair and apply the oils on your hair while it is still warm.
- Massage your hairs for some time and leave the oil for 2 to 3 hours to settle.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash off the oil.
- You can use this process 2-3 times a week.
Treat Damaged Hair
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Almond Oil
- Make a mixture of castor oil and almond oil in the same proportion as you did with coconut oil in the previous remedy above.
- There is no need to heat this mixture. You can apply this directly to your damp hair.
- Massage your head softly and leave the oil overnight.
- Wash off the oil using a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- You can use this remedy on alternate days.
Promote Hair Growth
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, lukewarm water, sesame oil
- In a bowl of lukewarm water, put a couple of tablespoons of castor oil and sesame seed oil.
- Mix the oils with the water, stirring continuously.
- Wash your hair with this oil-water and massage it for 5 minutes.
- Again, wash your hair with a shampoo to clear the oils.
- You can use this remedy every day for increased hair growth.
Get Rid of Dandruff
Ingredients Required: Castor Oil, Extra Virgin olive oil
- In a small container, mix equal proportions of extra virgin olive oil and castor oil.
- Close the container and shake it so that the oils blend together completely.
- Apply this on wet or damp hair and leave it overnight to settle.
- Massage your hair after waking up and before washing your hair with shampoo.
- You can use this remedy two times a week.
Increase Blood Circulation in the Scalp
Ingredients Required: Castor Oil, Cayenne pepper tincture, Dye brush
- Mix a teaspoon of cayenne pepper tincture with a tablespoon of castor oil.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp using a dye brush or a cotton ball.
- Massage your scalp for 5 minutes.
- Leave the mixture on your scalp for 2-3 hours.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy two to three times a week.
Fight Scalp Infections
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, White Iodine, Cotton ball
- Before applying, wash your scalp thoroughly and let it dry completely.
- Soak some castor oil through a cotton ball and squeeze the excess oil.
- Using a dropper put some drops of white iodine on the cotton ball.
- Gently dab the cotton ball on your scalp. Massage your hair for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice a day to get the best results.
Balance Sebum Production from the Scalp
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Jojoba oil
- Mix a tablespoon of castor oil with two tablespoons of jojoba oil.
- Apply the oil mixture to wet hair and scalp.
- Gently massage the head for 5 minutes and then cover the hair with a damp towel for 2-3 hours.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- The treatment can be followed a couple of times a week.
Hair Mask for Shiny Hair
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Eggs
- Add an egg to two tablespoons of castor oil and mix it well.
- If you have very dry hair then you can just use the egg yolk.
- You can apply this mixture on dry or wet hair, it works equally well for both cases.
- Using a shower cap, cover your head for an hour before washing the egg with shampoo.
- For best results follow up by washing with cold water.
Unclog hair follicles and Prevent Hair Thinning
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Emu oil
- Make a mixture of castor oil and emu oil taking equal proportions of both.
- Divide your hair into different parts and apply this mixture to your hair as well as your scalp.
- Let the oil settle for 3-4 hours by covering it with a shower cap or a towel.
- Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
- You can repeat the process twice a week.
Aloe Vera for Itchy Scalp
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Aloe Vera gel, Basil powder, Fenugreek powder
- Blend a mixture of 2 teaspoons castor oil and 1 teaspoon each of aloe Vera gel, basil powder and fenugreek powder to form a thick hair mask.
- Massage this mixture on your scalp and hair thoroughly without missing a strand.
- Wash your hair after a couple of hours using a mild shampoo.
- Use this remedy whenever you have an itchy scalp.
Promote Hair Growth and Prevent Allergic Reactions
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Peppermint Oil
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in 100 ml castor oil and shake the mixture well.
- Part your hair from the centre and apply the oil mixture onto your scalp.
- Try to cover the whole head by using a similar process of parting the hair and applying it to the scalp.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash the hair mask after a couple of hours.
- Use this remedy twice a week for two months to see better hair growth.
Improve Blood Circulation
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Onion Juice
- Mix two tablespoons of castor oil and onion juice in a bowl and blend them.
- Gently massage your head after applying the oil and leave it for two hours.
- Wash off the oil using warm water and a mild shampoo.
- Use this remedy on alternate days to improve blood circulation and reduce scalp inflammation.
Revitalize your Hair
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Avocado oil, Olive oil
- Make a mixture of all three oils in the same proportions.
- Apply this oil on your scalp by gently massaging your scalp using your fingertips for 10 minutes.
- Avocado is rich in Vitamin B and E so leaving the oil overnight would revitalize your hair of the lost vitamins.
- Wash it in the morning using a mild shampoo.
- Use this remedy once a week for healthier, stronger hair.
Stimulate Fast Hair Growth
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Rosemary essential oil
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of castor oil in a water bath.
- Add a couple of drops of rosemary essential oil to the warm oil and stir till they are blended.
- Heating the oil makes it easier for the oil to seep through the scalp.
- Gently massage your head for 15 minutes and then wash it off using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a week to increase blood circulation and stimulate hair growth.
Repair Damaged Hair with Vitamin E
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Vitamin E capsules
- Empty the contents of 2-3 Vitamin E capsules in a bowl of castor oil (2 tablespoons).
- Heat the solution in a water bath and apply it to your hairs and scalp.
- Massage your head for 10 minutes gently and in a circular motion for best results.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- You can use this treatment twice a week.
Prevent Premature Baldness
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Tea tree oil, Applicator bottle
- Try to use the Jamaican Black castor oil for this remedy if you can.
- Mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil and 2 tablespoons of castor oil in an applicator bottle.
- Squirt the oil on your scalps directly and let it settle for a couple of hours.
- Wash off using warm water and shampoo.
- This remedy can be used thrice a week.
Make your Hair Bacteria Free
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Garlic cloves
- Crush two garlic cloves and mix them with two tablespoons of castor oil to make a paste.
- Let the mixture marinate for 3-4 days. The oil will separate from the solid paste.
- Apply this oil to your scalp and let it stay for three-four hours.
- Wash off the oil using warm water and shampoo.
- For best results and accelerated hair growth, use this tonic twice a week.
Moisturize your Scalp
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Glycerine
- Put a couple of drops of glycerine in a tablespoon of Castor oil.
- Massage your head with this mixture gently for 5-10 minutes before washing it off with warm water and a mild shampoo.
- Glycerine moisturizes your scalp and keeps it hydrated and shiny.
- Use this remedy once a week.
Regulate Scalp Flora
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, A tube of Monistat 7
- In an applicator bottle, mix a tablespoon of castor oil and a full tube of Monistat 7.
- Apply this mixture directly to your scalp by dividing your hair into different sections.
- Wash this mixture off after half an hour using warm water.
- Monistat 7 is very effective in regulating scalp flora which is the reason for hair fall in many people.
- You can use this mixture once a week.
Ingredients Required: Castor oil, Shea Butter
- Melt the Shea butter so that it can be mixed with castor oil.
- Apply a mixture of one tablespoon of castor oil and one tablespoon of melted shea butter on your scalp and let it stay for a couple of hours.
- Wash your hair with warm water when the butter has just started to solidify a little.
- Shea butter has inflammatory properties and is very good in removing dandruff, especially for people having sensitive skin. Use this remedy once a week.
Precautions for Castor Oil
Allergic reactions due to the use of castor oil are very rare and less heard of. On its own, castor oil is generally considered safe without requiring any special kind of application or consumption rules but there can be some inactive ingredients present in various castor oil products that can lead to allergic reactions. Consult your doctor before using an unknown castor oil product or when you notice any symptoms like rash, itching or swelling of throat/neck after using the product.
- Medical History before Using as a Medication
Refer your Doctor or Pharmacist about your medical history before using castor oil regularly like a medication. There can be complications to using castor oil if you have appendicitis or experiencing stomach aches for more than 2 weeks or are bleeding from the rectum.
Jamaican black castor oil or organic cold pressed castor oil are considered to be the best versions of the oil. Try to opt for these when buying castor oil. Castor oil is highly effective when used on damp hair for hair loss and should be left for several hours or overnight to get the best results from the oil. It is imperative that you don’t blow dry your hair or use a steamer after applying oil on the hair. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner to wash off the oil from hair.
- What does castor oil look like?
Castor oil usually has a clear or slightly tinted-yellow appearance. It has a nauseating flavour if taken directly and has a characteristic odour that is very mild.
- How can I use castor oil in my daily life?
Although being a vegetable oil, it can’t be used in food products. There are many different ways to use castor oil though, there are various different oils, soaps and shampoos based on castor oil and also some medical supplements that use castor oil as their main ingredient.
- Can I use castor oil on my face?
Apart from the numerous hair benefits, castor oil can be used as a remedy for various skin and health problems. It is very beneficial for delicate facial skin as well as dry skin. It is also very effective in detoxifying and cleansing the skin, getting rid of pimples and stretch marks.
- What is the chemical composition of Castor oil?
A big part of Castor oil comprises acids only (around 98 to 99 per cent). Here are the different acids present in the oil and their composition.
||Average Percentage Ratio
||85 – 95%
||2 – 6%
||1 – 5%
||0.5 – 1%
||0.5 – 1%
||0.5 – 1%
|Dihydroxy stearic Acid
||0.3 – 0.5%
||0.2 – 0.5%