Best DIY face wash for oily skin
August 7, 2021 Written by GP Team
Oily skin is a real nightmare for some people. No matter how much amount of the “suitable” cleanser you use or how strict your skincare regime is or how great care you take of your skin, it somehow ends up oily and shiny at the worst possible moment. Oily skin is caused when the sebaceous glands on our skin start producing extra sebum oil which attracts a host of foreign particles like dirt, pollution, harmful chemicals and grime which makes the skin super greasy and dull.
Here are some home remedies that can absorb and remove the excess oil from the skin:
Banana Face Mask
- Ripe banana
- Peel a ripe banana and cut it into small pieces.
- Now mash these pieces in a bowl using the back of a fork or spoon and add a teaspoon of honey over it.
- Mix the ingredients for a while and then pour three-four drops of lemon juice into the mixture. This will the mixture smooth and creamy.
- Wash your face with warm water before applying the paste on your face. Massage the paste for some time and then leave it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the face pack using water and a soft washcloth.
- Repeat this procedure twice a week to fight oily skin.
Cinnamon and Honey
- Wash your face with cold water before starting this remedy.
- Mix two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a small cup. You need to whisk the mixture for quite some time before the ingredients are mixed thoroughly and have created a fine paste.
- Gently apply this mask over your face and neck regions. This face mask can also treat the aftereffects of oily skin, i.e. pimples. Leave the paste on your face for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Honey makes the paste sticky, so it would be difficult to wash it off using water. Scrub the paste using a paper towel first and then rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this process once or twice a week given the amount of oil in your skin.
- Coconut oil
- Baking soda
- Pour 3 teaspoons of coconut oil into a small container that has a lid.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of baking soda in the oil. Stir the mixture well until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- It is recommended to use a warm spoon as it makes the process a little easier. Using extra virgin coconut oil and raw honey will have added benefits.
- Leave the mixture to settle for an hour or so.
- Take a tablespoon of oil out from the container. Don’t worry if it’s frozen, it melts quickly.
- Gently massage the oil over your neck and face moving the fingers in a circular motion for 5 minutes.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes so the sebaceous glands on your face are cleaned up.
- Wash it off using warm water. You can use this remedy every day for oil-free skin.
Bentonite Clay Face Mask
- Green Clay
- Palmarosa essential oil
- Apricot kernel oil
- Mix a teaspoon of green clay powder and apricot kernel oil in a small cup and stir well to make a grainy paste.
- Add 3-4 drops of the essential oil and lukewarm water to make a smooth fine paste.
- Gently spread the paste over your face and neck for 10-15 minutes. The clay has a mixture of components like sodium, magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium and can unclog pores, remove excess oil and give the skin a glow.
- Use warm water to rinse off the dried clay and washcloth to properly remove it from your face.
- Use this clay twice a week for gentle smooth skin.
- Raw cold milk
- Orange peel powder
- Cotton ball
- Mix a teaspoon of orange peel powder with 3 or 4 tablespoons of raw cold milk in a small bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in the bowl to soak in the paste for a minute then apply it over your face by gently massaging with your fingers in an anticlockwise direction for five minutes and then in a clockwise direction for 5 minutes.
- Wait for another five minutes before washing your face with normal water.
- You can use this cleanser every day if you like.