MAKEUP TIPS FOR WOMEN
Makeup can be a little overwhelming. With so many products available, one can get tricked into picking the wrong ones or not being able to use them properly. From choosing the right shade of foundation to achieving a decent look with minimum cosmetics, all can be done with the help of these simple makeup tips.
Open up a tissue to separate its layers and then cut out rectangular pieces. Simply place the tissue over your face and press lightly onto the skin to absorb excess oil and sebum.
- USE A SETTING SPRAY TWICE
To make your makeup last longer, spray your face with a setting spray before applying foundation and then after applying it as well.
- POWDER YOUR FACE TO PREVENT OIL
If you have oily skin then apply powder (preferably translucent) using a makeup sponge. Then after a few minutes dust off the excess using a makeup brush.
- CLEAN YOUR MAKEUP SPONGES
The best way to clean sponges is to allow them to soak in soap water. Dishwashing liquid works wonders for removing makeup from sponges and brushes.
- USE PRIMER ONLY OVER YOUR PORE AREA
Apply a mattifying primer only over the pores. Use a hydrating primer over the dry areas of your face like around the mouth and sides of the cheeks.
- Opt for the shade which disappears over your skin
The simplest thing you can do is to apply the foundation over your jawline and see how it looks. You must make sure that the foundation disappears into the skin and blends perfectly. Your foundation shade must not be light or dark. It should look like your skin, only better.
- Test it under natural lighting
To see how your foundation actually looks, put it on and see it under natural lighting. This will help you make out whether the shade is right for you or not.
- Don’t rub the foundation over your face
Use dabbing motions to make sure it sits firmly on top of the skin and blends well. Dab the foundation over the pores to fill them to reduce their appearance.
- Mix a few drops of facial oil for a dewy look
To make your face look more dewy and natural, just add 2 drops of your preferred facial oil to the foundation and mix. Apply the foundation like you normally would.
- APPLY THE FOUNDATION WITH YOUR FINGERS AND THEN USE A SPONGE
To avoid wasting foundation, apply it using your fingers. To absorb the excess foundation and avoid the cakey look, go over your face with a sponge.
- MIX FOUNDATION WITH POWDER TO IMPROVE ITS COVERAGE
If your foundation is not full coverage, simply mix it with some loose face powder. This will make the foundation look full coverage and opaque.
- USE A DARKER FOUNDATION/ FACE POWDER AS A BRONZER.
If you purchased a foundation or face powder that is darker than your actual skin tone, you can use it for contouring your face or bronzing it up.
- MIX TWO FOUNDATIONS TO GET THE PERFECT SHADE
If you are confused between two shades of foundation, and none of them looks just like your skin colour then simply buy both and mix them to achieve the perfect shade.
- You can add a little concealer to your foundation to make it lighter.
- TIPS FOR TOUCHING UP YOUR MAKEUP
Use a blotting sheet first to absorb the excess sebum and loose foundation. Then using a brush, apply some powder foundation only over the areas which need more coverage.
- Choose the right shade of highlighter for yourself
The light highlighting shades are best for lighter skin tones with a cool undertone. Bronze highlighters look more flattering on darker skin tones.
- You can apply a highlighter to multiple areas
Apart from the cheekbones and the tip of the nose, a highlighter can also be applied over the collar bones, at the top of the shoulders and on the lining of the upper lip.
- Mix some highlighter with the foundation for glowing skin
Mix a tiny amount of liquid highlighter with your foundation and apply using a makeup sponge. You can also use the liquid highlighter before applying the foundation.
- APPLY FOUNDATION IN THE DOWNWARD DIRECTION.
Blending foundation in the opposite direction can actually highlight the texture of your face and cause the facial hair to stick out. Applying foundation in the same direction as that of the hair growth will prevent this problem.
EYE MAKEUP TIPS
- USE EYESHADOW AS A COLOUR CORRECTOR
Use an orange or peach eye shadow for under eye dark circles. Use yellow (pale) for discolourations. Mix eye shadow with a little bit of the concealer such that the concealer turns pigmented. Now apply this over the needed areas and conceal using a layer of foundation.
- USE A BRONZER TO ADD DIMENSION TO YOUR EYES
Simply take a little bit of your bronzer and using a small brush, blend it over the crease of your eyelids. This will make them look deeper.
- APPLY THE CONCEALER ONLY WHERE IT IS NEEDED.
If there are certain areas you would like to conceal, then take some concealer at the back of your hand. Dip your makeup sponge or brush in it and apply lightly over the areas you want to cover.
- LOOK DOWNWARDS INTO THE MIRROR WHILE APPLYING THE EYELINER
Look down into the mirror. Use a small mirror which you can hold. Looking downwards will help you to determine the right thickness of the liner and give you a more precise look.
- CREATE YOUR OWN EYESHADOW PRIMER
To prime your eyelids before applying eye shadow, all you need is some concealer and a translucent powder. First, apply some concealer over the eyelids and blend evenly. Then set it with some translucent powder to prevent creasing or any fallout.
- USE PETROLEUM JELLY FOR LIFTING THE EYELASHES
If your mascara looks clumpy and tends to make your eyelashes feel heavy, then use some petroleum jelly to provide a very natural-looking lift to the eyelashes. Do not rub your eyes. Use unscented petroleum jelly.
- MAKE YOUR EYES LOOK BIGGER WITH THE HELP OF A HIGHLIGHTER
To make your face look fresh and awake, take some highlighter at the tip of your finger or an eye lining brush and apply it on your lower lash line. Apply some at the inner corner of your eyes as well. For a gothic look, you simply have to use black eyeliner in the same way.
- USE THE EYESHADOW AS LIPGLOSS
Simply mix a little powder eye shadow with some petroleum jelly or your transparent lip balm. You can adjust the pigmentation of the lip gloss by increasing or decreasing the amount of eye shadow.
- USE AN BLACK/BROWN EYESHADOW ON YOUR HAIR
If you have a lot of scalp showing around your hairline, then use a black or brown eye shadow to fill in the spaces. Use a small brush to pick up the pigment and apply it lightly over the hairline.
- EASY SMOKEY EYE
Apply the black eyeliner (pencil) on the upper as well as the lower lash line. Now smudge it to get a Smokey effect. Draw a V on the outer part of the eyelid ad smudge again.
- USE A LIP BALM BEFORE APPLYING LIPSTICK
Apply a transparent lip balm on your lips for at least 30 minutes before applying your lipstick. If you want a matte finish then remove the lip balm right before applying the lip colour.
- ENHANCE THE COLOUR OF YOUR LIPSTICK
To enhance the colour of your lipstick, apply a slightly darker lip liner. Do not just use it to outline your lips. Colour the lips with lip liner to add a tint. Then go on with a layer of lipstick.
- MAKE ANY LIPSTICK MATTE USING SOME POWDER
To make your lipstick matte and non-transferrable, take the help of some loose translucent powder or baby powder. Dab some loose powder over your lips after applying the lipstick. Now hold a thin layer of tissue paper over the lips to pick up all the excess powder and lip colour.
- USE A SPOON TO REMOVE EXCESS LIPSTICK
If you have applied a creamy lipstick that tends to get on your teeth, simply take the rounded side of the spoon, put it in your mouth and close your lips around the spoon. Slide it out and all the extra lipstick will get on the spoon instead of your teeth.
REMOVE MAKEUP PROPERLY
34. To make your own makeup remover, mix some baby oil with a little baby shampoo and water. Once you get a solution, use it to remove makeup.
- You can also use cold cream instead of baby oil. Simple rub an appropriate amount over your face to dissolve the makeup and then wipe away using a cotton pad. Use a mild cleanser to remove the residual makeup.
- To remove eye makeup from your waterline, use an earbud soaked in baby oil and lightly rub it over the waterline and the upper lash line. This will remove waterproof eyeliners as well.
- NO MORE WASTING THE TUBE PRODUCTS
To remove the leftover foundation/cream stuck to the sides of a tube, simply cut it in half and scoop out the makeup. Store it in a small jar.
- MAKE YOUR PENCIL EYELINER INTO A GEL EYELINER
Simply heat up the tip of the liner using a lighter or a small candle. Heat up the tip only for 2-3 seconds only. Let it cool and then apply.
- AVOID THOSE MASCARA MARKS
Hold up the rounded side of the spoon against your eyelashes and apply mascara as you normally would. Do the same for your lower lashes as well.
- REMOVE THE EYESHADOW FALLOUT EASILY
Do your eye makeup before doing the rest of your face. Now if you have any fallout over your cheeks or nose, simply take a piece of clear tape and press it on the skin so that the pigment sticks to the tape.
- APPLY SOME CINNAMON TO PLUM UP YOUR LIPS
Mix a pinch of cinnamon with a little petroleum jelly and apply on to the lips to make them appear fuller and bigger.
- HIGHLIGHTER FOR SHIMMERY LIPS
Mix some highlighting powder with petroleum jelly and apply a thin layer over your lipstick. Now rub your lips together to make them look shiny.
- PREVENT NAIL POLISH FROM GETTING ON YOUR SKIN
Take some clear tape and put it around your nails such that it covers the skin completely. Apply nail polish as usual and remove the tape once done.
- USE THE LEFTOVER LIPSTICK
To use the lipstick present at the bottom portion and in the tube, use a lip brush to apply the colour.
- USE ICE TO PREP YOUR FACE
Rub some ice all over your face to make it look fresh. This will also help to close the pores and make the makeup look smooth.
- APPLY SOME POWDER UNDER YOUR EYES TO PREVENT THE CONCEALER FROM CREASING
Apply a layer of powder over the concealed areas. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then dust off the excess using a large brush. Distribute the powder all over the face to have an airbrushed look.
- DIY BB CREAM
In a small jar mix some Lacto calamine lotion and a few drops of your foundation. Mix nicely to get your own 2 ingredient bb cream.
- INCLUDE SUNSCREEN IN YOUR MAKE-UP ROUTINE
To use sunscreen along with makeup, apply it not before applying the primer but after it. Use mattifying sunscreen to make your makeup last longer.
- APPLY THE MASCARA IN DOWNWARD MOTION
Instead of applying mascara in an upward motion, place the wand over the eyelashes and sweep downwards. This will make them appear fuller and longer.
- GET RID OF DRY PATCHES
If you notice any dry and flaky spots after applying your foundation, take a little bit of moisturiser and rub it into your makeup sponge. Now dab the sponge only over the flaky area. A little moisturiser will get deposited onto the skin without smudging the foundation. The dry patch will disappear as well.
- USE LIPSTICK AS BLUSH
Lipstick can be used to add some colour to the cheeks as well. Pick a lipstick shade that you think will complement your skin tone and dab some of the pigment onto your cheeks. Blend well until you are satisfied with the colour.
- FIX CLUMPY MASCARA
If your mascara tends to settle to the bottom and has turned thick, simply place it in a cup of hot water. The temperature will loosen the fluid and it will apply much more smoothly.
- STORE YOUR NAIL PAINTS IN THE REFRIGERATOR
Keeping the nail paints in the refrigerator will prevent them from clumping up and the pigment will appear glossy on every application.
- USE YOUR POWDER BRUSH AS A CONTOURING BRUSH
To convert your fluffy powder brush into a contouring brush, simply attach two bobby pins (horizontally) in opposite directions. The bristles will come together and form a fan brush which can be used for highlighting as well as blending out the contour.
- DIY GREEN TEA SETTING SPRAY
You will need:
- green tea leaves,
- 1 cup water,
- 2 tablespoon of aloe Vera gel,
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Brew the tea leaves until you get a green tea concentrate.
- Allow the water to cool completely and mix the aloe Vera gel into it.
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Use this spray to set your makeup or hydrate your face when needed.
- STORE MAKEUP IN STRAWS
Instead of carrying all the makeup bottles and tubes when travelling, get some straws and store makeup in them. Cut a wide straw into two. Now take one piece and seal the end by heating it up slightly. Add your moisturiser, foundation or primer into the straw and then seal it from the top as well.
- BLEND THAT LIP LINER
When lining your lips, choose a lip liner that is closer to your skin shade. Blend it well into the boundary of the lips instead of letting the harsh line stay. This will give an appearance of fuller lips.
- EXFOLIATE YOUR LIPS
- Mix some brown sugar with a little lemon juice.
- Apply this scrub over your lips and exfoliate using circular motions to remove any dead skin cells. This step will make your lips smooth and the lipstick will go on much easier.
- SMILE WHEN LINING YOUR LIPS
Stretch out your lips in order to line the lips completely and neatly. If the lips are not stretched, it may lead to overlining or not getting even strokes.
- USE BANANA PEEL TO WHITEN YOUR TEETH
Take a banana peel and rub its white side onto your teeth. All the yellow build-up will get removed and your teeth will instantly look whiter and shinier.
- USE A MUD MASK DAILY
Fuller’s earth can be used as a mask daily to absorb all the residual make-up and excess sebum. If you use makeup daily, this step can help you prevent blackheads and rough skin. For oily skin, mix fuller’s earth with lemon juice and for dry skin, mix it with milk.
- MILK OF MAGNESIA AS PRIMER
Milk of magnesia, commonly used to treat acidity can also be used as a primer for oily skin. Applying a few drops of this onto the oily areas of the face and then applying makeup on top can help to keep the face matte for the entire day. However, this product should not be used on an everyday basis.
- AFTER SHAVE BALM AS A PRIMER
Take some aftershave liquid and apply it over your face with the help of a cotton ball. It will act as a primer and also help to fight acne as it is anti-bacterial in nature.
- REMOVE FACIAL HAIR BEFORE APPLYING MAKEUP
Facial hair may be on the forehead, the chin area and even over the cheeks. If you have visible hair over your face then use a facial razor meant for women, to get rid of them. Your makeup will look much more even and you will use less quantity of makeup products as well.
- NEVER FORGET THE NECK AND THE EARS
When applying foundation, dab some of it on the neck as well. This will make you look even in terms of skin tone and the foundation will look blended out. Dab some foundation over the ears as well.
- USE A CONCEALER TO MAKE THE LIPSTICK NEAT
Don’t rub or smudge the lipstick if it is not looking neat or is slightly over the boundary of the lips. Take a small brush and dip it in some concealer. Use the brush to clean up the edges and make your lips more defined.
- USE A SPOON FOR CONTOURING
Place the inward surface of the spoon over your cheek and using a brush or your contouring stick, draw the contour line against the lower edge of the spoon. Remove the spoon and blend the line evenly.
- DRAW A “3” FOR CONTOURING
Using your contouring stick, draw a vertically inverted 3 on both sides of your face. Now blend out the lines to get the perfectly sculpted face.
- USE A SMALL BRUSH FOR FILLING THE PORES.
Instead of using a big fluffy brush, use a small eye shadow brush to blend the foundation or face powder over the pores. The small brush will fill the pores better and reduce their appearance.
- BABY POWDER FOR FULLER LASHES
Apply a coating of baby powder over your eyelashes. Then go on with a coat of mascara. Your eyelashes will look thicker.
- USE A FACIAL OIL TO SKIP THE STEP OF MOISTURISER.
Apply a few drops of facial oil over your face before going to bed. Wash your face nicely in the morning. Your face will be well hydrated and you can skip using a moisturiser when applying makeup.
- USE FOUNDATION TO COVER UNDER EYE DARK CIRCLES.
If applying a lighter shade of concealer for highlighting makes you look ashy, use your foundation as a concealer. An extra layer of foundation over the under-eye dark circles and high points of the face will look natural.
- USE A CONCEALER UNDER THE FOUNDATION
For a natural highlight, apply your concealer first and then go over it with your foundation.
- DIY GRADIENT LIP
After applying your lipstick, take a lip liner that is at least one shade lighter. Apply the lighter shade to the middle of the lips and then press your lips together. Use a lip brush to smooth out any harsh boundaries between the two lip colours. This technique also makes the lips look bigger.
- USE A MAKEUP SPONGE FOR CREAM CONTOUR
Cream products blend easier with sponges. To blend the contouring lines, use dabbing motions and slightly upward strokes.
- USE A BRUSH FOR POWDER CONTOUR
Brushes will help to spread the powder easily and make the contouring look flawless. Using a sponge for the same will result in using more powder since the sponge will absorb the powder easily.
- SMILE WHEN APPLYING THE BLUSH
Smiling will highlight the apples on your cheeks and make it easier for you to apply the blush. Extend the blush slightly towards the cheekbones to make it look like you have a natural tint.
- DIY EYELINER STENCIL
- Take a thick plastic sheet.
- Now put some clear tape over it and draw the kind of eyeliner shape you want.
- Make sure there are no creases on the plastic sheet.
- Cut a rectangular piece along with the stencil outline.
- Now cut out the eyeliner drawing very carefully.
- Use a pair of sharp scissors for this.
- Once this is done, remove the tape from the sheet and stick the stencil over your eyelid.
- Fill in space with a black eye shadow or eyeliner.
- APPLY LIP GLOSS OVER NUDE LIPSTICK
To make sure that nude lipstick does not make you look washed out, apply a layer of lip gloss over it. This will make it look more natural.
- ROLL ON DEODRANT AS PRIMER
Clean the tip of your roll-on deodorant and apply a thin layer over your nose and the areas which tend to get oily. Once the deodorant fluid has dried up, it will set upon the skin and you can apply your makeup normally.
- GIVE SHAPE TO YOUR EYEBROWS USING HAIRSPRAY
To prevent the fine eyebrow hair from looking untamed, take a clean mascara wand and spray it with some hairspray. Use the wand to tame the eyebrow hair and they will stay in place for the rest of the day.
- FILL IN YOUR EYEBROWS USING EYE SHADOW
- Mix a little bit of powdered black eye shadow with an eye shadow primer.
- Mix well until you obtain a paste.
- Using a small brush, fill in your eyebrows.
- You can pick the eye shadow according to the colour of your eyebrows.
- FIX BROKEN MAKEUP WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL
- Add 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol to the broken palette.
- Mix the alcohol with the broken pieces of makeup using a cotton bud until you even it out.
- Smooth out the surface with your finger and press a tissue sheet over it.
- Dab over it using a round object to make the mixture sit within the palette.
- Remove the tissue and let it dry.
- DIY TINTED SUNSCREEN
- In a small jar, mix your sunscreen with a few drops of foundation.
- Add some loose powder as well.
- Mix until well combined.
- Since the sunscreen has a tint now, you need not add more foundation on top of it.
- OUTLINE YOUR BROWS BEFORE THREADING THEM
To get a perfectly shaped brow, outline the shape using a white eyeliner. While threading, grab the hair which lies outside the boundary you have drawn. This way you will not remove too much hair and both the brows will look similar.
- APPLY HIGHLIGHTER UNDER THE BROW BONE
To make your eyes look brighter, apply a highlighter under the brow bones. You can even use clear petroleum jelly to add some shine.
- HEAT UP YOUR EYELASH CURLER
Heat up your eyelash curler for a few seconds using a blow dryer. Curl your eyelashes like you normally would. The heat will help to curl your lashes better.
- WASH YOUR FACE 30 MINUTES BEFORE APPLYING MAKEUP
Let your skin moisturise itself using its natural oils. After 30 minutes of washing, blot your face with tissue paper and then apply makeup.
- MAKE EYELASHES LOOK FULLER USING TIGHTENING
Instead of applying mascara, take a blank eyeliner (pencil) and apply it on your upper waterline. The base of your eyelashes will look fuller.
- USE WHITE EYELINER AS AN EYE SHADOW BASE
Draw a few dots over your eyelids using a white eyeliner. Now blend it using your fingers. Apply eye shadow over the white eyeliner to make the colours look brighter.
- CARRY MAKEUP SPONGES EVERYWHERE
If you do not want to go through the hassle of using a tissue paper or blotting sheet, simply take your makeup sponge and dab it all over your face to absorb the oil/sebum and smooth out any creasing at the same time.
- USE ICE WATER TO DRY YOUR NAILS
After applying nail paint, allow it to air dry for a few minutes. Then take some ice water and dip your nails into it for a few minutes.
- RUB PETROLEUM JELLY ALONG THE EDGES OF THE NAILS
To prevent the nail paint from staining your skin, put some Vaseline along the edges and then wipe it away after you are done applying the nail polish.
- STORE LIPSTICKS IN THE REFRIGERATOR
This will prevent them from going rancid due to humidity and heat. The formulation will also not get damaged.
- WET THE TIP OF THE BRUSHES TO ENHANCE THE PIGMENT
When applying eye shadow, spray some setting spray onto the brush. This will help it pick up more pigment and the colour will look brighter.
- WHEN TO USE A FOUNDATION WITH A PINK UNDERTONE?
If you have a cool undertone, a foundation with pink undertones will suit your skin. The simplest way to determine your undertone is to take a look at your veins. If you have blue veins then you are of a cool undertone.
- WHEN TO USE A FOUNDATION WITH YELLOW UNDERTONES?
If your veins look green then you are of a warmer undertone. Hence a foundation with yellow undertones will match your skin and not look ashy.
- DRAW AN “X” OVER YOUR CUPID’S BOW
To define your lips perfectly, first, draw an X over your cupid’s bow. Line the lips accordingly and fill them in.
- GEL MOISTURIZER FOR OILY SKIN
If you have oily skin, then use a gel-based moisturiser before applying your makeup. Aloe Vera gel can also be used instead of a moisturiser.
- CREAM MOISTURISER FOR DRY SKIN
Use a cream formulation or an oil-based moisturiser before applying makeup if you have dry skin. This will prevent your foundation from sticking onto the dry patches.