Sunspots are the dark or white spots that get developed on our skin when our skin comes in contact with direct sunlight for a long period of time. The harmful UV radiations are the main cause of sunspots on the skin. It is seen that people having light skin tone are more prone to sunspots as compared to people having dark skin tone.
Common Causes of Sunspots
Sunspots are mainly caused due to exposure of skin to UV radiations. UV radiations increase the melanin production in our skin to fight against harmful rays. This results in tanning and sometimes sunspots. The most common regions where sunspots can get developed are the forehead, hands, nose, cheeks, feet, etc. Sunspots are usually dark in color, sometimes they are red or white in color. Sunspots can cause various types of skin cancer.
20 Home remedies to remove sunspots
- Simply apply some lemon juice on the sunspots using a cotton ball.
- Let the lemon juice dry naturally and then wash it with normal water.
- You can apply lemon juice on your sunspots daily. Lemon may cause a tingling sensation in the skin. You can dilute lemon juice with an equal amount of water if you have sensitive skin.
Aloe Vera –
- Apply some Aloe Vera gel on the affected region and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Now, wash it off with clean water.
- You can apply aloe vera gel on the affected region twice a day. Aloe Vera repairs the skin and relieves it from sunspots.
- Simply cut out a piece of fresh watermelon and rub it on your face.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Now, wash it with clean water.
- Repeat this process thrice a week. Watermelon is effective in keeping the skin youthful and it also removes sunspots.
Green Tea Bags –
- Just soak a green tea bag in boiling water and then squeeze the tea bag over a cotton ball.
- Rub this cotton ball gently over the affected region twice a day. This will help in reducing sunspots. Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants, so it is effective in healing sunspots.
Apple Cider Vinegar –
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this mixture to your face before going to bed.
- The next morning, rinse it properly. Vinegar not only heals sunspots, but it also acts as a sunblock agent and protects our skin from harmful Ultra Violet rays.
- Simply dip a cotton ball in buttermilk and place it like a bandage on the affected region.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes and then wash it with clean water.
- You can repeat this process several times a week to get quick relief from sunspots.
Vitamin E –
- Squeeze a vitamin E capsule on your hands and then gently apply the liquid to the affected region.
- Let it stay for 10-15 minutes and then wash it with clean water.
- You can apply this vitamin E capsule twice a day for quick results. Vitamin E is very good for the skin. It keeps the skin healthy and heals sunspots.
- Using a cotton ball apply some milk to the affected area on your skin.
- Let it stay for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then, wash it using clean water.
- You may repeat this process as many times as you can. Milk contains lactic acid that is effective in lightening the spots present on our skin.
- Mash fresh papaya and apply it to the affected region.
- Let it stay on for 10-30 minutes and then wash it with clean water. Papaya has the properties to heal acne, blemishes, sunspots, and many other skin problems.
- You can apply this papaya paste twice or thrice a week.
Red Onions –
- Simply mix one tablespoon of onion juice with two tablespoons of honey.
- Apply this mixture on your sunspots and let it stay for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off using enough water to remove the odour of the applied mixture. This mixture helps in effectively removing the sunspots as onion is a natural bleaching agent.
Castor Oil –
- Massage the affected region with castor oil twice a day. Castor oil is effective in removing sunspots and in keeping the skin tone even.
Red Currants –
- Mix ¼ cup of mashed raw red currants with one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply this mixture to your sunspots and let it dry for 30 minutes.
- Now, wash your face with warm water and apply diluted lemon juice to the affected region.
- Mix sandalwood powder, lemon juice, glycerine, and rose water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your sunspots.
- Wash it with cold water when it dries.
- Apply this paste daily to get quick relief from sunspots.
- Mix two teaspoons of turmeric powder with two teaspoons of honey and apply this thick paste on your sunspots.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes and then wash it.
- You can apply this turmeric-honey mask daily to get quick relief from sunspots.
- Grind 6 spoons of oatmeal and mix 4 spoons of lemon juice with it.
- Apply this thick paste on the affected area and leave it until it dries.
- Wash it off with warm water when it dries.
- You can use this remedy once a week to get rid of sunspots.
- Simply squeeze a tomato and apply the juice on the affected region.
- Let it dry naturally and then wash it off with normal water.
- Apply tomato juice on your sunspots daily to heal them quickly.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of turmeric powder and apply this paste to the affected region.
- Let it dry and then wash it off with clean water.
- Reapply this mixture twice or thrice a week for good results.
Potato – Potato is a good bleaching agent and is effective in removing various skin spots.
- Simply make a paste of potato by grating it and apply it to the affected region.
- Let it stay on the affected region for a few minutes and then wash it off.
- You can apply potatoes on your sunspots on a daily basis to get rid of them.
- Simply extract some cucumber juice and add a few drops of lemon to it.
- Now apply this mixture on your sunspots.
- Leave it on until it dries naturally and then wash it off with normal water.
- Apply this daily to see quick results.
- Simply cut a garlic bud and scratch it with a knife so that its juice comes out.
- Rub this piece of garlic on the affected region and let it dry.
- Wash it off with normal water upon drying.
- Consuming garlic can also help in preventing sunspots.
- One of the most important things to protect your skin is to apply SPF on your skin daily. SPF fights the harmful UV radiations and prevents our skin from developing sunspots.
- You should use makeup products that have SPF. This not only makes you look beautiful but also prevents your skin from developing sunspots which get developed due to the harmful effects of the sun.
- Avoid spending too much time in the sun. Sunlight is essential for our body but excessive exposure to the sun leads to various skin problems like sun spots, tanning, skin cancer, and various other skin diseases.
- Always wear sunglasses and a sun cap while going out in the sun. This keeps the sensitive facial skin protected from sun damage. This way, we can avoid sunspots from developing on our facial skin.
- We should consume an antioxidant-rich diet so that the harmful free radicals that develop in our skin do not harm the skin. Antioxidants help in maintaining the health of our skin and avoid various skin diseases and sunspots.
Myths and Facts
|Sunspots indicate that you have cancer.
|Sunspots are very common in people who stay in sunlight for long durations. They are not a sign of cancer, but in some rare cases spots similar to sunspots may indicate that you have cancer.
|People who develop sunspots are expected to develop skin cancer easily.
|There is no such fact that people with sunspots are more prone to cancer. Although, some people who have sensitive skin may become more prone to skin cancer because of sunspots.
|Sunspot is a type of tanning.
|Sunspots are totally different from tanning. They are generally developed at the regions in our body which are tanned. But, they cannot be compared with a tan.
|Only people with light skin tone are prone to sunspots.
|Sunspots can be developed on the skin of any person irrespective of their skin color.
- Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting treatment – This cream by Olay is effective in removing sunspots and other dark spots on the skin. It improves the skin tone and makes it spot-free. Within 4 weeks, you will be able to see a visible change in your skin.
- Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector – This product by Peter Thomas Roth effectively removes sun spots, age spots and makes the skin tone even. It can be used twice on a daily basis to get the desired result.
- Fade Crème – Fade Crème cures dark spots, age spots, sunspots, and lightens the skin tone. This crème can be used as an effective remedy for removing sun spots and obtaining clear skin.
- Lumix- Advanced skin brightening Crème – This cream helps in maintaining an even skin tone by fading away various spots from the skin. Sunspots can be cured by this crème effectively.
QUE – Can sunspots be formed on the face only?
ANS – Sunspots have an equal chance to be formed on any part of the skin. They are developed due to excessive tanning and can occur at any part of your body that has frequent exposure to the sun.
QUE – Are sunspots a sign of cancer?
ANS – Generally, sunspots are not a matter of concern. But, in some rare cases, sunspots may indicate the presence of skin cancer in the body. If frequent and large numbers of sunspots develop on your skin then you should consult a dermatologist as soon as possible.
QUE – Are sunspots permanent and can’t be removed once they are developed?
ANS – Sunspots can be effectively removed by using various home remedies as well as using various crèmes available in the market. They are not permanent spots.
QUE – Are sunspots caused due to some defect in the liver?
ANS – It was earlier believed that sunspots are also caused due to a defect in the liver. But, this was proved to be wrong later on.
QUE – Are sun spots and liver spots the same?
ANS – Sunspots were also known as liver spots due to the misconception that they can also be caused due to a defect in the liver. So, even now the term ‘Liver spot’ continues to be just used as a reference only for sunspots.
QUE – Is sunscreen enough to guard my skin against developing sunspots?
ANS – Sunscreen is essential to keep your skin away from sun damage. But, sunspots cannot be completely prevented by using sunscreen only. We have to take certain other safety measures like covering our body while going out in the sun, consuming an antioxidant-rich diet, using skincare products, etc.
QUE – Can sunspots only be developed in summers?
ANS – Sunspots are not related to hot or cold climates, they are related to UV damage caused by the sun. There is no change in the intensity of UV radiations of the sun in winters. So, there is an equal chance of the formation of sunspots both in summers and winters.