Many of us can get quite confused when deciding about whether to wear a thick eyeliner or a thin eyeliner. In this topic, we are going to look at some points which will teach you how should you decide it.
As a general rule, the thickness and intensity of the eyeliner should correlate with the size of your eyelid—the larger the eyelid area, the thicker yet softer the eyeliner should be. This also applies vice versa i.e. The smaller the eyelid area, the thinner and more intense the liner should be.
Some other points to keep in mind:
1. If you are a makeup newbie and you have no idea how to pull off a look using an eyeliner then use liquid eyeliner for more precision. Dip a thin eyeliner brush in your liquid eyeliner bottle, start making tiny dots on your upper lash line and draw a perfect wing outwards. Now, slowly join the dots with the wing to get that perfect cat eye look.
2. For a daily makeup look, take a gel eyeliner and apply it on your upper lash line starting midway. Drag your eyeliner brush towards the outer corner for an everyday light make up look. It will add more depth and definition to your eyes.
3. For creating the reverse eyeliner look, take a thin eyeliner brush, dip it in your gel eyeliner pot, and draw a neat line pointing upwards starting midway through your lower lash line. Finish this look by adding a generous coat of mascara.
4. For creating a dramatic look, start applying a liquid eyeliner right from the inner corner of your eyes, start applying right above the tear glands and drag it outwards just like you would do to create a classic cat eyeliner look. Apply kohl pencil on your lower lashline and you are good to go.
5. For a smokey eye makeup look, all you have to do take some black gel eyeliner with your flat eyeshadow applicator. Start blending it in towards the inner corners of your eyes just the way you would use a transition eyeshadow otherwise. Once you are done, apply a shimmery eye shadow in the inner corner of your eyelid and blend it outward. You can definitely finish it off by applying another layer of eyeliner to redefine your bold look in the classic cat eye style.
6. If you have hooded eyes then you must use eyeliner to define your eyes. All you have to do is, take a liquid eyeliner and draw a thin line on top of your upper lash line, do not drag it outwards, smudge it with a q-tip after application. It will add more depth and definition to your otherwise flat and pale face.
7. It is not easy to decide which eye make up look to pull off if you are someone who has monolid eyes. In this case, ditch the regular black eyeliner and opt for a grey or brown eyeliner and then draw a thin and neat line on top of your upper eyelash. Apply a shimmery eyeshadow that is closest to your skin tone and you can pull off this look with the aplomb of a professional.
8. If you have round eyes, you should want to make your eyes look a bit longer lengthwise or triangle shape. You can opt for a long-winged look to lengthen the look. Alternately, you can also opt for lining the outer edges of your lash line. Another great look to try is lining your upper lash line all the way from its inner to the outer corner. Although, be sure to use liquid eyeliner for this one. To figure out if you have round eyes, study there shape. They should be quite large and wide and the white of eyes is visible above or below the iris (or both)
9. If you have almond eyes, the winged liner look will look gorgeous on you. Use a winged liner for this purpose and give it an extra flick at the end to produce a stunning winged look. In case you want to utilize a pencil liner to line your eyes, go for a thin line if you have smaller eyes and go for a thicker line if you have bigger eyes. So, basically, it will depend upon the size of your eyes.
10. If you have smaller eyes, the optimum look would be to draw a thin line on the top lash and also on the outer corner of your bottom lash line. To figure out if your eyes would be considered small eyes, look at their size in proportion to your nose and mouth. The eyes should look small when looked at proportionally.
11. If you have got big eyes, there are honestly a lot of options which are going to look stunning on you which makes it a bit easier to choose. You can easily opt for the classic look of applying lines at both the waterlines. Alternatively, you can also just line your bottom lash, or even go for other looks like winged or cat eyes look. And to figure out if your eyes are big, just compare them with your nose and mouth and study the proportion of your eyes.
12. If you have got monolids, which is a common eyelid shape in Asian countries especially southeast Asian ones, you should make a thick arch on the upper lash line using a liquid or gel eyeliner. Make your line a little thicker because once you open your eyes the eyeliner will hide a little bit, so making it just a tad bigger will ensure that you get the perfect look once you open your eyes.
13. If you have got close-set eyes, which means that your eyes are close to each other relatively; if the length between your eyes is lesser than one eye length then you have got close-set eyes. The technique to go for this one is to try to elongate the look of the eyes by lining the outer corners of the eyes. So, you can line the outer thirds of your lash line, both top and bottom lashes to get a stunning and captivating effect. You can also opt for either solid or smudged line.