Peanut oil is a common ingredient in many households. This vegetable oil is extracted from peanuts and has a distinct nutty flavour to it. Peanut oil is also very commonly used for the purpose of frying food because it has a high smoke point as compared to other vegetable oils. You may also find this in many food and health stores by the name of groundnut oil.
Here are some its very useful benefits for skin, hair and health:
BENEFITS OF PEANUT OIL FOR SKIN
Peanut oil for Foot massage
Peanut oil contains high levels of vitamin E which is extremely beneficial for the skin. In some traditional practices, peanut oil is used for the purpose of giving an energising massage to relieve joint pains and promote circulation. Many also recommend the use of this oil for giving yourself a relaxing foot massage.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon of lavender oil
- Mix the peanut oil with lavender oil and use this oil to massage your feet.
- Begin at the heels and massage in upward motions.
- Make use of light pressure and rub the toes in the end.
- You can also concentrate on the dry areas.
- Continue the massage for at least 10 minutes.
- The preferred time of this remedy is before bedtime.
- Once finished, take some Luke warm water and pour it over your feet.
- Wipe immediately with a towel. This will help to get rid of the excess oil.
How this helps: when peanut oil is used for a massage, it helps to increase circulation and provide relief from joint pain as well as inflammation. A foot massage is especially beneficial for people with insomnia as it helps to induce more peaceful sleep. If you suffer from dry feet or rough skin then peanut oil will hydrate and nourish all the dry areas as well.
Peanut oil for healing dry skin
Dry skin can be attributed to many factors. It could be a result of your current lifestyle or your current surroundings. Living in polluted environments can rob the skin of its natural moisture and leave it dry. People may also have dry skin naturally. For this skin type, using oils can prove to be very helpful.
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of peanut oil
- Pulp of half an avocado
- 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
- Add yoghurt to the pulp of the avocado and mix until they are well combined.
- Add the peanut oil and mix vigorously.
- Make sure the peanut oil does not remain unmixed as this will make the application process a bit difficult.
- Begin by exfoliating your skin with a light scrub.
- Pat dry your face and apply the peanut oil mask evenly.
- Leave it on for at least ½ an hour.
- Once it feels tighter, take a wet towel and wipe away the mask.
- Rinse away the residuals and do not apply a moisturiser immediately.
How this helps: peanut oil is very hydrating and helps to soothe dry skin. Avocadoes are also very beneficial for dry skin and help to make the skin softer. You can use this mask at least once a week to deeply nourish your skin.
Peanut oil for rough skin
Simply using face washes and moisturisers cannot help to remove the layer of dead skin cells over various parts of the body. Hence exfoliating the skin is an essential step for ensuring smooth and supple skin.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds and
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- Mix the coffee grounds with the peanut oil until the coffee grounds begin to stick to each other. The best time to use a body scrub is after taking the shower. By this time the pores are open and the process of exfoliation becomes much easier.
- On damp skin, use this scrub in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse using lukewarm water to remove excess oil.
How this helps:
Exfoliating skin can be very abrasive if the right kind of base is not used. Using an oil such as peanut oil which has fatty acids will help to make the scrub smoother. While the coffee grounds help remove the layer of rough skin very easily while deep cleaning the pores at the same time. After using the scrub, you will notice that your skin is not dry at all and the skin is much softer. This scrub is ideal to use right before shaving as well.
Peanut oil for pigmented and dry lips
Since peanut oil is a rich source of fats and vitamins, it can be used for treating chapped lips.
To begin this treatment, make sure that your lips are moist or wet:
- Place a warm and wet towel over your lips for about 5 minutes.
- After your lips have turned softer, use the same towel to scrub your lips.
- This step will ensure the removal of the layer of chapped and dry lips.
- After wiping the lips, apply some peanut oil and keep rubbing on your lips.
- Begin with a single drop and massage onto the lips.
- Do not remove the peanut oil.
- Let it stay on your lips overnight or for at least 2 hrs.
- You can repeat this treatment every day to achieve soft and supple lips.
How this helps: exfoliating the lips will help to reduce the pigmentation and improve circulation. The lips will look instantly plumper and will absorb the peanut oil much better. Peanut oil will deeply nourish the lips and make them softer.
PEANUT OIL FOR HAIR
Vitamin E is necessary for maintaining hair health and keeping them soft and shiny. Peanut oil is packed with this and along with that it also contains fatty acids to nourish the scalp deeply. Peanut oil does a good job while penetrating your hair strands to make them stronger and manageable. Studies also show that peanut oil can help in delaying the occurrence of grey hair and stop premature hair fall.
Some home remedies for healthy hair using peanut oil are as follows:
Peanut oil overnight treatment
This is the simplest remedy you can perform if you do not like to whip up different masks.
You will need:
- Heat this oil up. Make sure that it is not too hot or it could burn your scalp. The oil should be warm enough for application.
- Once the desired temperature has been reached, massage this oil onto your hair.
- Begin at the roots.
- Massage nicely for about 10 minutes before moving on to the ends.
- Use a generous amount of peanut oil to get the best results.
- Now tie your hair in a bun and leave the oil in your hair for about 8 hrs. or overnight
- . Wash using shampoo. You may have to rinse twice because peanut oil is quite thick.
- Condition your hair as usual.
- You can use this remedy once in a few weeks.
- Do not do this every time before washing your hair.
Since peanut oil is extremely thick, it could make your scalp greasy even after washing and cause product build-up over time. If this happens, add half a teaspoon of baking soda to your shampoo while cleaning your hair. Baking soda will help to get rid of all the sticky residue.
Peanut oil and tea tree mask
This remedy is for problematic scalp. It works great for people with dandruff and an itchy scalp. These symptoms can also cause hair to become dry and frizzy.
You will need:
- ¼ Th cup of peanut oil
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil, and
- 6 tablespoons of yoghurt
- Mix the peanut oil with thick yoghurt. Make sure the yoghurt is not watery. This mask needs to be of thick and creamy consistency.
- Once both the ingredients are well combined, add a few drops of tea tree essential oil and mix well.
- Apply this hair mask evenly concentrating on the scalp.
- Let it stay on your hair for about 30 minutes and then rinse off using lukewarm water. Make sure you wash away the mask thoroughly.
- After washing with plain water, use a shampoo to remove the peanut oil completely and condition as usual.
Peanut oil for hair fall
You will need:
- 1 cup of fenugreek seeds
- 1 capsule of vitamin E oil
- 5 tablespoons of peanut oil
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in a cup of warm milk for up to 8 hours. The seeds should be moist.
- Strain the soaked seeds and add them to a blender.
- Make a thick paste by blending them well enough.
- After this, add the Vitamin E oil from the capsule along with the peanut oil.
- Blend again until well combined.
- Apply this paste evenly throughout the length of your hair and ties your hair in a tight bun.
- Concentrate on your scalp and the roots of the hair.
- Let the mixture stay for 2 hours.
- Rinse using cold water and then using a mild shampoo.
Peanut oil and fenugreek seeds both contain very beneficial compounds which help in strengthening the hair and reducing hair fall.
PEANUT OIL FOR OVERALL HEALTH
Peanut oil is not only immensely flavourful but also has numerous health benefits. Not many are aware that peanut oil can help to strengthen immunity and fight several allergies. It also contains high levels of antioxidants which help in eliminating the free radicals in the body. This helps to hydrate and detoxify the body from within.
Peanut oil is also a great alternative for patients suffering from high cholesterol. Peanut oil has negligible amounts of the same and can be used while cooking several dishes.
Peanut oil contains monosaturated fats which promote younger-looking skin and improve heart health to a certain extent. Peanut oil can also prove to be very helpful for joint pains as it decreases inflammation when used externally as well as internally.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can peanut oil be used on skin infections?
While peanut oil is extremely good for treating dry skin, it does not have any healing properties as such. Therefore using this oil on skin infections is not advised. It is very thick in nature and could slow down the healing process.
Can peanut oil clog pores?
Peanut oil is recommended for dry skin type only. It should not be used as often on oily skin as it could clog the pores and lead to blackheads or whiteheads. It is not beneficial for acne prone skin as well and could lead to further inflammation.
Can peanut oil be reused for frying or cooking?
Peanut oil has a high smoke point. This means that it will not break down very easily due to the cooking heat. Hence it is safe to use reuse this oil only once for frying.
How can we use peanut oil for cooking?
Peanut oil has a strong flavour. It can easily be used for cooking various dishes. You can use this oil for the purpose of shallow frying or even deep frying. This oil has a high smoke point and will not burn easily. It is best to avoid this oil if you are making a dish with strong flavours as the peanut taste may not go well with all the foods. The best way to use peanut oil is by adding it to salad dressings or blending it with various side dips. If you want to use this oil for all kinds of cooking then you can purchase the mildly flavoured variety.
PRECAUTIONS WHILE USING PEANUT OIL
- When using peanut oil externally, like on the skin, it is important to identify your skin type. If you have oily skin which is prone to breakouts and acne, then do not use this oil on the skin.
- Since it is slightly comedogenic in nature and this could result in the formation of blackheads.
- Pregnant women must avoid using or consuming peanut oil in large amounts.
- If you are allergic to nut oils or soybeans and peas then avoid using this oil as well. It belongs to the same family of plants and may lead to mild allergic reactions.