The Noni fruit is scientifically known as Morinda citrifola. It is known by different names like cheese fruit, Indian mulberry, and Apatot in various parts of the world. The most common way in which this is consumed is having its juice. This juice is known for its several health benefits. This fruit appears green in colour. As it begins to ripen, the colour changes to yellow. It is also characterised by its pungent and slightly foul odour. This article brings to you, the easiest way of making Noni juice at home to reap all its health benefits.
MAKING NONI JUICE AT HOME (UN-FERMENTED)
This recipe makes for 2 servings.
In order to juice the noni fruit, you have to make sure that it is ripe. Unripe noni fruit is hard. As it begins to ripen, you will notice a change in colour. It will begin to turn yellow. Another reliable indicator of ripening is the smell. When the fruit is perfectly ripe, it will smell like stinking cheese. Although the odour is not pleasant at all, it is nothing to worry about.
- Do not allow the fruit to turn white. You must juice it while it is still yellow in colour.
- Wash the fruit nicely. Allow it to dry completely before juicing them. The skin of the fruit will be thin and soft.
- Now place the fruit in a blender. You need not dice it because it will already be very soft.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey to the blender. Honey will help to mask the taste of the juice.
- Add ½ cup of water.
- Blend on high speed for about 1 minute.
- You must not be left with any chunks in the blender. If so, blend for a few more seconds.
- Now place a large sieve over a wide bowl. Pour the mixture from the blender into the sieve. Make sure the sieve has been placed firmly on top of the bowl.
- Now use a spoon to move the mixture around in the sieve. This will allow the juice to get filtered.
- Since the juice is quite thick, let the sieve rest onto the bowl. Keep stirring the mixture using a spoon.
- You will have the juice in the bowl once the mixture has reduced in quantity. The consistency of the juice will be quite thick.
- To this juice, add 2 glasses of water and mix. You can even add 2 glasses of fruit juice if you dislike the taste of this juice.
- Add more honey according to your preference.
- Freshly made noni juice should be consumed within 2 days.
THIS FERMENTED JUICE
- To make fermented juice, take 2-3 ripe noni fruits.
- Clean well using water.
- Now place the fruits under the sun and let the fruits dry for at least 3 hours.
- Do not worry about the foul odour. It may get more intense due to the heat.
- Now place the fruits in a clean airtight container. Make sure you cover the container with a lid.
- Place the container near a window in order to let the sunlight work on it.
- Let the fruit ferment for 5 to 6 weeks. You will notice the fruit getting darker in colour. This is perfectly normal.
- You will notice thick juice seeping from the fruit and getting collected at the bottom of the container.
- Place a sieve over a large bowl, and strain the juice from the pulp
- Once you have obtained the juice, transfer it to a jar and store it in the refrigerator.
- To consume the juice, take a ¼th cup of the fermented juice and add 100 ml of water to it.
- The shelf life of the fermented juice is up to 1 year.
BENEFITS OF THIS JUICE FOR OVERALL HEALTH
This juice contains several amino acids. These help to boost the immune system of the body making one naturally stronger against diseases. By decreasing the amount of glucose levels in the blood, it helps to heal wounds faster.
This juice has analgesic properties. It helps to reduce inflammation. This property makes it perfect for alleviating arthritis pain which is due to the inflammation in the joints. Studies show that this juice contains several enzymes which help to detoxify the body and hence decrease inflammation to a great extent.
This juice contains certain alkaloids which help in activating the cells. It contains a compound known as proxernine which promotes cellular repair and reduces further cell damage.
- Helps to manage cholesterol levels
Studies have shown that regular consumption of this juice can help to reduce the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the body. This not only promotes heart health but helps to keep the blood detoxified.
- Provides protection from cancer
Cancer is one of the most dreaded diseases. It occurs when immature cells begin to divide uncontrollably and turn into tumours. However, research shows that there are certain compounds in this juice that may have anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Helps to manage blood sugar levels
This juice contains enzymes that mimic the function of the drugs given to patients of diabetes. With regular consumption, this juice can help to lower the blood sugar levels and hence prove to be very beneficial for diabetic patients.
This juice has high fibre content. This helps in regular bowel movements. It also has natural laxative properties which relieve constipation. Consuming this juice on an empty stomach will help to get rid of digestive problems. Since this juice reduces inflammation, it helps to prevent stomach ulcers as well.
This juice helps to improve mood by boosting the production of hormones such as serotonin and melatonin. It improves the sleeping pattern which enables the person to deal with stress and anxiety.
- Reduces the chances of getting a stroke.
This juice improves the circulation of blood in the body. The presence of nitric acid improves the elasticity of the veins and hence reduces the chances of blood clots and strokes.
- Helps in maintaining our vision.
This juice contains compounds which lower the sugar levels in the blood. Sugar is one of the major factors which decreases vision, especially in diabetic patients. Hence regular consumption of noni juice helps in maintaining eye health.
BENEFITS OF THIS JUICE FOR SKIN
Noni fruit contains plenty of vitamin C. Regular intake of this juice helps to clear out the skin from within and make it appear brighter. It also helps to decrease cellular toxicity which makes the skin look much healthier and plump. Overtime, dark spots will be greatly reduced.
This juice is packed with anti-oxidants. These help to fight the free radicals present in the body. Free radicals can accelerate the skin ageing process. However, this juice eliminates these free radicals from the body making the skin appear younger. It helps to keep the skin firm and delays wrinkles. It promotes cellular repair which allows the skin to regenerate much faster.
Anti-oxidant named selenium is found in this juice which helps in increasing skin elasticity and reducing the appearance of enlarged pores.
Continuous sun exposure can damage the skin cells and increase melanin production. The heat from the sun not only makes the skin appear dull and lifeless but also dehydrates it. This juice helps to keep the cells nourished from within and recover from sun damage at a much faster rate.
Since noni has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in fighting existing acne. The pimples heal much faster. This juice is also anti-bacterial in nature. It helps to eliminate the problem causing bacteria. This juice can also help with several skin issues like rosacea and acne scarring.
Noni and gram flour mask for dry skin
You will need:
- 4 tablespoons of Noni Fruit juice (unfermented)
- 2 tablespoons of gram flour
- 1 tablespoon of curd
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- Mix the gram flour with this juice and curd.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and mix well.
- Apply on a clean face using a face brush.
- Allow the face mask to dry completely.
- Wash with cold water and follow up with a moisturiser.
- You can use this remedy twice a week.
How this works: gram flour and curd help to nourish dry skin while Noni Fruit juice helps to make the skin look brighter. Turmeric helps in dealing with acne.
Noni and fullers earth mask for oily skin
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of fullers earth (multani mitti)
- 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder
- 5 tablespoons of Noni Fruit juice (unfermented)
- Mix all the ingredients together until you get a smooth paste. You can add more juice if the paste is too thick.
- Apply over a clean face and allow the mask to dry completely.
- Wash using cold water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a week for best results.
How this works: This juice will help to tighten the pores while fuller’s earth and orange peel powder will absorb excess sebum from the pores.
BENEFITS OF THIS JUICE FOR HAIR
- Helps in preventing hair fall
This juice strengthens hair follicles which promotes hair growth. It helps in reducing inflammation and helps to make hair stronger and thicker. They become less prone to heat damage as well.
The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal action of this juice helps in treating dandruff and even lice. It helps to remove dandruff from the scalp enabling it to remain clean and produce less sebum.
Noni Fruit juice hair rinse
You will need:
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of Noni Fruit juice.
- 1 cup of water.
- Simply mix the three ingredients together and pour over damp hair.
- Massage onto the scalp and allow it to stay for a few minutes.
- Rinse using normal water.
- Use this remedy once a week to get rid of dandruff and dull hair.
This juice may result in the following side effects:
- Bad breath
- Heavy menstrual flow
- Headaches and confusion
Although the side effects are not very common, irregular or improper dosage may produce the stated side effects. However, they do not translate into anything serious usually, and the symptoms go away on their own.
- Do not continue consuming Noni Fruit juice if you experience any allergic reactions due to it.
- It is best not to consume this juice right before going out since it may cause bad breath. You can follow up with a mouthwash to eliminate the foul odour.
- Do not consume this juice if you have liver problems. The compounds present in this juice may aggravate existing liver diseases.
- If you experience problems related to kidneys, then avoid this juice since it contains very high levels of potassium. This may lead to further complications.
- Diabetic patients who are already on certain medicines must consult their doctor before taking this juice to avoid any harmful drug interactions.
MYTHS AND FACTS
|Store-bought Noni Fruit juice is similar to homemade juice.
||Store-bought Noni Fruit juice cannot be 100% pure. It is usually diluted with other fruit juices along with preservatives and sugar. It is best to make this juice at home.
|Fermented Noni Fruit juice is much healthier.
||The nutritional content of the fermented and unfermented juice tends to remain the same. However, fermented Noni Fruit juice can be used for drinking but cannot be used for home remedies.
|Noni Fruit juice is the best cure for all health conditions.
||This juice alone cannot help in maintaining a healthy body. The diet is extremely important. Although there are several benefits listed, some of them are based on experiential evidence and are yet to be proven scientifically.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does it take to see the benefits of This juice?
The results may vary from person to person. Usually, it takes about 1 month to notice significant results. However, external remedies will show faster results.
What is the correct dosage?
A healthy adult can consume 15ml of this juice every day.
How will one know if the fruit has gone stale?
The ripe noni fruit smells like old cheese. Once you are familiar with this smell, it will be easy for you to determine if the odour is exceptionally foul and the fruit is not fit for use.
It will also taste distinct and much slimy.
Can this juice be given to children?
This is not advised as this juice can be quite potent and upset the digestive system in children.
Can we pasteurise this juice at home?
This is possible. You simply have to place the Noni Fruit juice in a tight jar and let the jar sit in boiling water for a few minutes. This won’t denature the enzymes.