Mandarin orange is a small spherical or oblate shaped fruit that grows on the Mandarin tree. It is a citrus fruit and is orange, orange-yellow, or orange-red in color. This fruit has a really thin peel that makes it easier to peel and consume. Mandarin oranges have a sweet taste and they can be consumed directly after peeling off just like normal oranges. Mandarin orange is native to the Philippines and Southeast Asia. They are grown in India, Japan, China, and East Indies. They are being commercially cultivated in the United States of America in the regions of Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Texas, Georgia, and California. They are available for consumption worldwide. Mandarin is consumed by people as an alternative to oranges because they are too low in calories and too high in nutritional value.
The Mandarin orange has a high nutritional value as it contains a large quantity of sugar, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Provitamin A, mineral salts, free organic acids, lectins, and phytoncides. The high amount of Vitamin C present in Mandarin oranges provides us with various health benefits.
Skin, Hair, and Health Benefits of Mandarin Orange
Health benefits provided by Mandarin Oranges
- Prevents Cancer – Due to high levels of Vitamin A, the Mandarin Orange protects us from Liver Cancer. Due to the high amounts of various nutrients and minerals, it prevents various other diseases like breast cancer, etc.
- Rich source of Vitamin C – Mandarin oranges have an exceptionally high level of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a great anti-oxidant and is capable of fighting with the unstable molecules in our body known as free radicals. These free radicals can harm our body cells and can also cause cancer.
- Helps maintain cholesterol – Mandarin oranges cut short the production of cholesterol in our body. Because of being highly rich in anti-oxidants, mandarin orange is capable of lowering the accumulation of cholesterol in the arteries. Also, Mandarin Orange promotes good cholesterol and inhibits the production of bad cholesterol in our bodies.
- Helps maintain blood pressure – Mandarins are helpful in lowering the blood pressure for high blood pressure patients. They do so by making the blood flow smoothly through the arteries and veins.
- Helps in weight loss – Mandarins are helpful in reducing weight because they are rich in fibre. Foods that have a high quantity of fibre keep the stomach full for a long period and we lose weight because of eating less.
- They increase Immunity – Mandarin orange is very healthy for our immune system. It enhances our immunity due to the presence of a good amount of vitamin C. Higher immunity leads to a higher ability of the body to fight diseases and to prevent them.
- Reduce stress – Tangerines are helpful in stress reduction. Tangerine peel tea and tangerine bath are helpful in stress reduction. Their peel is beneficial in providing relaxation to our nervous system by soothing the nerves.
Skin benefits provided by Mandarin Oranges
- Prevents toxic effects on the skin – Mandarins, being rich in anti-oxidants are efficient in fighting harmful free radicals and in removing the toxic elements from our skin. They make our skin look healthier and younger.
- Makes our skin glow – Because of being rich in fibre and Vitamin C, Mandarins provide a natural glow to our skin. Fibres are helpful in removing toxins from our body and this leads to healthy and glowing skin.
- Improves the skin tone – Mandarins being rich in vitamin C and E are very beneficial for our skin. If mandarins are consumed on a regular basis then they can help improve our skin tone and also provide flawless spot-free skin.
- Reduces Wrinkles – Mandarin Orange has the property to fight wrinkles as it is rich in vitamin C. It effectively fights wrinkles when either it is consumed raw or applied on the face regularly.
- Helps in healing wounds – Mandarin oil is extracted from Mandarin Orange and is effective in healing wounds as it has the property to give rise to new cells.
- Helps in fighting skin infections – Skin infections can be cured and avoided by the use of tangerine oil. Skin infections caused by various bacteria and fungi are effectively cured by the use of this oil.
Hair benefits provided by Mandarin Oranges
- Conditions your hair – As mandarins are highly rich in antioxidants, they fight pollution and provide conditioning to your hair. Regular consumption of mandarin oranges gives you smooth and soft hair.
- Makes your hair bouncy and shiny – Mandarin Oranges make your hair look bouncier and shinier. Regular consumption of Tangerine helps improve hair quality.
How to Select the Right Fruit?
Keep the following points in mind while shopping for Mandarins:
- Choose the mandarins that do not have spots on them.
- Select only the fruit that looks glossy.
- Heavy mandarins should be selected.
- Soft mandarins should not be chosen.
- Mandarin oranges with cuts and rotten parts should not be selected.
How to store mandarins?
- After purchasing you can store mandarin oranges for about one week.
- Make sure you don’t wash the mandarins before putting them in the store.
- Wet mandarins lead to the growth of fungus and bacteria and spoil the fruit.
- If you could not consume the mandarins in one week then you can put them into the refrigerator to increase their life span by two weeks.
Mandarin orange as a home remedy
- Simply apply some Tangerine juice to your face and let it dry naturally. Then wash it off with normal water. The high amount of vitamin C in the fruit will improve the quality of your skin.
- Mix two tablespoons of Tangerine juice with one egg yolk and apply to your face. Let it settle for 10-15 minutes and then wash it with water. This will help you in removing blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. It will also make the skin soft and supple and will cleanse the skin deeply.
- Simply mix two tablespoons of Mandarin Juice in one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture to your face and then let it settle for 15 minutes. Wash it off with cold water and then apply some moisturizer to your skin. This will help you in removing wrinkles and spots from your face. This mixture is effective in providing youthfulness to your skin.
- Mix two tablespoons of mandarin juice and two teaspoons of rose water with one tablespoon of fuller’s earth. Make a smooth paste of these ingredients. Apply this pack to your face and rinse it with cold water after it dries completely. This pack is effective in reducing the excess oil that is present in our skin.
- Drinking the juice of this fruit daily will enhance hair growth and will make the hair look shinier and bouncier.
- Squeeze out some Mandarin Orange juice and mix it with one teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply it to your hair thoroughly and let this mixture stay on for the next 30 minutes. Then, wash your head thoroughly and enjoy the soft texture of your hair.
- Mandarin peel tea – You just have to peel a Tangerine and cut its peel into small pieces. Now let these pieces dry out in the sun. Boil these in water and then apply the ‘Mandarin Peel Tea’ to your wet hair thoroughly. Wash it after a while and see the beautiful change in your hair. Mandarin Peel Tea is also available in some stores.
- Tangerine (Mandarin Orange) oil that is available in various beauty stores is rich in anti-fungal properties. It can be applied to your hair just like any other normal hair oil. It cures dry scalp, dandruff and various other scalp problems and infections.
- Tangerine Oil acts as an antiseptic. It is effective in curing ‘Sepsis’. Sepsis is an infection in which certain areas of the skin become inflamed and reddened. This infection is caused by the Staphylococcus Aureus bacterium and can spread to other parts of the body too. You simply have to apply some Tangerine oil to the affected region on a daily basis. You will see quick results.
- Tangerine peel tea that is prepared by boiling dried tangerine peels is very effective in reducing stress. This tea soothes the nerves and calms the nervous system. As a result, we are able to enjoy better mental health. The Tangerine peel can also be used in hot baths as a stress buster.
- Simply massage your body with tangerine oil to get rid of inflammation or any other skin infection. Tangerine oil helps in maintaining skin health.
- A Black tea and tangerine peel tea mixture is effective in lowering the risk of cancer. Simply prepare both the teas and mix equal amounts of each. Consume this drink once or twice a week to stay away from Cancer.
Side effects of mandarins
On excess consumption of tangerines the following side effects may be witnessed:
- Consuming too many Mandarin oranges can cause diarrhoea.
- We may witness cramps in the case of consumption of mandarins in an excess amount.
- Nausea and vomiting can be caused.
- It causes insomnia in some people.
- In some severe cases, kidney stones may be formed. This happens when more than the required amount of tangerine is consumed on a daily basis.
- It may cause heartburn in some people.
Myths and Facts about Mandarin orange
|Oranges and mandarins are the same.
||Oranges and mandarins are very distinct from each other in terms of nutritional value. Although, they look alike.
|Mandarins have more calories than oranges.
||Mandarins are a perfect low-calorie fruit that provides various nutrients without many calories.
|Mandarins are harmful to us as they contain an excessive amount of nutrients and vitamins.
||Excess consumption of mandarins is harmful to us but if we consume only 1-2 mandarins a day, then it is not harmful.
Frequently Asked Questions
QUE. Are tangerines safe to consume?
ANS. Tangerines have various amazing benefits for us and they are a must consume fruit. Although, you should consume them in low quantity (1-2 per day).
QUE. Are mandarins really beneficial for skin and hair?
ANS. Definitely, mandarins are extremely beneficial for our hair and skin as they have huge quantities of vitamin C and Vitamin E. These vitamins are essential and beneficial for both hair and skin health.
QUE. How long can I store mandarin orange?
ANS. You can store it for about one week. After that, you can simply refrigerate it and increase its life span further by two weeks.
QUE. Do we really benefit from tangerine peel tea?
ANS. Yes. Tangerine peel tea is effective in fighting various diseases like cancer, motion sickness, morning sickness in pregnant women, cholesterol, etc.
QUE. Are mandarin oranges bitter in taste? Is it unpleasant to consume?
Ans. Mandarins have a sweet taste and they are tasty just like other citrus fruits. They taste really good.
QUE. Do tangerines cause a loss of appetite?
ANS. No, this is not true. Tangerines are very rich in fibre and this is the reason that they keep the stomach full for a longer time. They are helpful in losing weight.
QUE. Should tangerines be consumed in pregnancy?
ANS. Yes, tangerines are very healthy for pregnant women. Pregnant women should consume mandarins in order to ease their morning sickness and stay healthy during pregnancy. Also, mandarins provide essential nutrients to the child in the womb.
QUE. Are tangerines and mandarins same?
ANS. Yes, tangerines and mandarins are one and the same thing. They are just two names for the same fruit.
QUE. What consequences will I face if I over-consume mandarins?
ANS. On overconsumption of mandarins, we can face various health problems like digestive problems, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, cramps, insomnia, heartburn, etc. It also causes Kidney stones in some cases.