The color of the skin on the lips varies from person to person, and no shade is healthier or superior to the others.
However, often the color of your lips can suggest that more attention is required.
Some people develop discoloration in their lips.
This discoloration or pigmentation can be the product of medical and lifestyle causes.
In this post, we will share about the causes of dark lips and how to lighten them naturally.
What’s causing the dark lips?
- Increased exposure to the sun may increase the production of melanin in your skin, resulting in pigmentation.
- Excessive smoking can cause a form of pigmentation known as melanosis for smokers.
- An allergic reaction to some products, such as toothpaste, lipstick, etc., can also cause hyperpigmentation of your lips.
- Medical treatments for conditions can affect your lips and make them look dull and dark.
1. Coconut Oil
- Use coconut oil as a lip balm to achieve the best results.
- You can melt the coconut oil and transfer it to a small container to make the process easy and convenient.
- The oil will stay frozen during the winters, although it can be stored in the refrigerator during the summers.
Coconut oil is a lifesaver, particularly for your skin during the winter season.
Coconut oil provides several nutrients that can help to lighten the dark lips.
Coconut oil has emollient and hydrating properties.
These properties can help keep your lips smooth and supple and prevent them from becoming dry and darker, which is normally caused by skin dehydration.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Nearly everybody knows that aloe vera is a cure-all for skin issues.
If it’s skin conditions like acne, rashes, redness, etc, or even pigmentation, there’s nothing that daily use of aloe vera can’t treat.
- Use the store-bought aloe vera gel on your lips or, if available, use the gel directly from the plant.
- Daily use of aloe vera can help to lighten your lips and make your skin healthier, smoother, and softer.
Aloe vera contains aloin, a depigmenting agent.
This can help to fade the pigmentation on your lips.
3. Lemon Scrub
- A teaspoon of sugar granules
- Lemon juice
Everyone is aware of the bleaching properties of the lemon juice and you can use them to treat pigmentation of the lips.
Dark lips can also be caused by rough, dead skin that grows on the lips, and sugar granules can help exfoliate the skin.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and whisk in a teaspoon of sugar granules.
- Apply the mixture to the lips and gently rub in a circular motion.
- Keep it on for an additional 10 minutes.
- Wash away with regular water, and you’ll see a difference with only one use.
- Use continuously for the best possible results.
Citrus fruits like lemons are known for their lightening effects on the skin.
When mixed with sugar, lemons can not only lighten your skin but can also help soften your skin.
- Regularly exfoliate the lips.
- Drink plenty of water every day to keep hydrated.
- Using the SPF 40 or higher lip balm.
- Do not use poor quality lip products.
- Do not use things that you are allergic to.
- Stop licking your lips excessively, because it makes them dry.