How to Use Multani Mitti For Skin
Multani Mitti, which is otherwise called Fuller’s Earth is a clay that is believed to be originated from the city of “Multan” in Pakistan. It has got its name from “the clay of Multan” which is Multani Mitti when translated. It is widely known as the Healing Clay and is renowned for its impressive cleansing properties. It is composed of several minerals like Kaolinite, Calcite, Attapulgite, Dolomite, Montmorillonite and Traces of Quartz in different ratios.
Benefits of Multani Mitti :
- A Cleansing element
- Loosens the skin arteries for better circulation.
- Has lightening components
- A trusted cooling agent
- Consists of germ-free properties
- The prime reason for its fame is that it removes the dead cells from the skin and helps the skin to breathe.
- It can be used in removing facial impurities to open up the clogged pores, making the skin absorbent to all the crèmes and serums then applied more effectively.
- It soaks up the oil from the oil-prone skin, keeping those pimples and acne at bay.
- It goes about as a Scrub and aids in getting rid of all those Blackheads and Whiteheads completely.
- It is that natural ingredient that helps in toning the skin thoroughly.
- It helps in treating dark circles.
- Removes the suntan and helps in reducing pigmentation giving soft and supple skin in no time.
- It could be utilised in the form of an Antiseptic as it can cure most of the skin-irritating issues.
- It can also be used to improve the blood circulation that gives way to glowing skin.
Side Effects & Health Risks
- It is not ideal for dry skin as it dehydrates the skin due to its high absorbing power. You can still utilize it by adding almonds and milk to reduce the harsh effect. As an alternative, Kaolin clay can be used, which is considered to be mild.
- It is not safe for consumption as it can cause clogging of the intestines and kidney stones.
- The cooling property of this clay can prompt respiratory issues in few people, particularly due to its application on the torso to minimise the sunburns or for cooling of the skin.
Home Remedies of Multani Mitti for Skin
Here we quickly summarize the various home remedies of Multani Mitti through its uses and styles of face packs:
- The Basic Pack
Rosewater is a toner by nature and seems to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- You can prepare this face pack by mixing equal proportions of rose water and Multani mitti in order to prepare a thick paste and further applying it on the face.
- Once dried, rinse it off with icy water.
This is an exceptional solution for greasy skin and provides a cooling effect.
- The Honey Pack
- Take 2 tablespoons of Multani mitti and 1 tablespoon of pure honey and mix them together to prepare a concentrated paste with the assistance of rosewater to smoothen the paste.
- Apply this mixture on the face and the neck area and leave it for 20 minutes.
- You can then wash your face and see the difference.
- The Chandan Pack
One of the best combinations is Multani mitti and sandalwood powder (Chandan). It can do great wonders to your skin.
- Get a paste made of the two and keep it applied on the face for not more than 15 minutes and witness your pimples clearing.
- The Curd Pack
- Prepare a paste of Multani mitti, curd and lemon juice in a 2:2:1 ratio and apply it to the face.
- Rinse it after 20 minutes and get a radiance on your skin.
- The Papaya Pack
Papaya containing Vitamin A & C is one of the best anti-oxidants.
- Smash 5-6 pieces of papaya and add honey and Multani mitti to it.
- Rinse it off after leaving it on the face for 20 minutes.
- The Haldi Pack
The golden spice “Haldi” or better known as “Turmeric” is not new to the field of Beauty Benefits.
- Mix the two with honey and apply it on the face followed by rinsing it off.
- The Rejuvenating Pack
- Take 6 tbsp of Multani mitti and add 4 drops of each Jojoba oil and Eucalyptus oil.
- Mix it well to thin out the composition.
- Add a cup of ripe banana, a pinch of Haldi and adequate water or milk to make the mixture.
- Keep it for 20 minutes, after which it can be removed by gentle rinsing. You can feel your skin relaxing and rejuvenating.
- The Grape Pack
This pack can work as an anti-aging solution.
- Mash a few green grapes and add 1 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of Multani mitti to it and apply the so attained pack on your face.
- Wash it with cool water and repeat the process twice a week for better results.
Milk and Grape can also be used as an alternative.
- Add Grape juice and milk to 6 tbsp of Multani mitti and apply it on the face before rinsing it off after 20 minutes. This aids in cleansing your face.
- The Rash Pack
This unique pack acts as an ointment and removes all the rashes on the skin.
- Take strained soaked and slightly boiled oats and add them to 6 tbsp of Multani mitti and 1tbsp of clove powder.
- Next, add a beaten raw egg to this to make a consistent mixture.
- Keep it for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
- The Moisturizing Pack
This pack can be used by the dry skinned ones as well.
- Mix 5 tbsp of Multani mitti with 2 tbsp of the thick pulp of a ripe avocado.
- Add a bit of Shea butter to it and gradually pour milk into the mixture. Make sure that it is mixed with a plastic or wooden spoon to avoid any sort of active reaction.
- The Tomato Pack
- Prepare a paste of Multani Mitti with smashed tomato extracts and leave it applied on the face for 15 minutes and rinse it off to get glowing skin.
- The Mint Pack
Mints are a boon to the dark patches.
- Mix a tablespoon of Multani mitti, yogurt and mint leave powder to prepare a paste out of it.
- Apply it on the affected spot and let it be there for 20 minutes.
- Then, rinse it to get rid of the dark patches.
- The Egg White Pack
- Mix equal proportions of Multani mitti, yogurt and well-beaten egg white.
- Apply it on the face, leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it off with warm water. This pack will help you in getting an even tone.
- The Olive Pack
- Mix a grated potato, 1 tbsp of Multani mitti and olive oil and 1tbsp of glycerine.
- Apply it all over your face and leave it for 10 minutes. This helps in overall improving your skin.
- The Besan Pack
- Make a paste out of Besan, Multani and raw milk and apply it for 10 minutes before washing it off. This will help you in giving you a glowing complexion.
- The Coconut Pack
- Take equal proportions of coconut milk, sugar granules and Multani mitti.
- Mix up the ingredients well enough so as to get a smooth paste and leave it applied on your face for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
- The Juice Pack
- You should remove the juice from a cucumber, tomato and lemon.
- Add Multani Mitti to this combo and apply it to your face. Wash it after 10 minutes and get fairer skin.
- The Malai Pack
The two most popular and beneficial components are Malai and Multani Mitti.
- Combine the two and add milk to it for the preparation of a smooth paste.
- Leave it applied for 20 minutes, then rinse it off and see the change in the texture of your skin.
- The Aloe Vera Pack
- Blend 1 tbsp of Multani mitti to 1 tsp of aloe vera gel and 2 tbsp of cold milk.
- A thick coating of the formed pack should be applied and washed after a gap of 15 minutes. This pack can be used to provide your skin with an energetic glow.
- The Orange Pack
- Take equal ratios of orange peel powder and Multani mitti powder and blend it with few drops of rosewater.
- Apply the so prepared paste and rinse it off once dried to get the excess oil on the face, soaked by the pack.
- The Potato Pack
This is an alternative remedy to treat dark circles.
- Grate half of a usually sized potato and mix it with lemon juice, one teaspoon of fresh cream and Multani mitti.
- Put the paste under your eye and rinse it off after 20 minutes.
- The Scrub Pack
- Team up Multani Mitti with orange peel, sandalwood powder, gram flour and basil and prepare a paste out of them.
- Apply it and rinse it for deep cleansing. This pack acts as a scrub that is used to exfoliate your skin.
- The Almond Pack
- Blend a mixture of almond granules and milk with Multani mitti.
- Once prepared, leave it applied on the face for 15 minutes to increase the rate of blood circulation and later wash it off.
- The Neem Pack
This pack functions as a pimple removal solution.
- Prepare a paste of Multani mitti and neem leaves and apply it on your face.
- It can be rinsed after an interval of 10 minutes.
It is normal for pregnant ladies to have an urge for non-edible items like brick, chalk, clay, etc. If the situation is so, then they should either be kept away from such items or visit their doctors for a consultation. Multani Mitti is not advisable for indigestion by anyone, especially for pregnant ladies. As for the lactating mothers, they can still apply it anywhere except the breast area as it could react with the milk if not kept clean.
- How long should it be kept on the Face?
Any type of Multani Mitti pack should not be kept on the skin for more than 20 minutes due to its good absorbing capacity that can absorb the other essential nutrients as well.
- What happens if we keep it for long?
If Multani Mitti is kept for long, it can absorb more than what is required and can cause wrinkles.
- Can Multani Mitti be applied on hair as well?
Applying Multani Mitti on the scalp helps in reducing any type of dandruff. It acts as a conditioner and smoothens the hair. Use of a conditioner should be avoided after the application of Multani Mitti. It can also be used to reduce hair loss and improve blood circulation in the scalp areas.
- How can Multani Mitti be used for hair?
For hair growth, equal proportions of reetha powder, shikakai powder, amla powder should be mixed with the Multani mitti using water and apply on the scalp, followed by rinsing it off within 15 minutes. Use 6 tbsp of soaked and ground fenugreek seeds and a spoon of lemon juice along with Multani to make a paste. The so formed paste should be applied on the scalp, followed by rinsing it after 30 minutes once it has dried.
- How to know if the Multani Mitti is Genuine or not?
There are two forms of Multani Mitti , one in the form of clay powder and the other in the form of clay pieces. The one with pieces is better since it is raw and no forms of impurities can be added to it. The powdered version can have few impurities mixed but can be avoided if taken from a trusted source. Both of them come in light Khaki colour and smooth texture.
- How often should the process be repeated?
Usually, it differs according to the type of pack being applied, yet there should be a gap of 10 days before the pack is applied again.
- What is the approximate cost and where can it be found?
The cost of a packet of Multani Mitti might differ in terms of quantity. Generally, the ones with good quality would cost about Rs150 for 100 grams. They can be found in general stores or small cosmetic shops or even at certain online stores.
- Is it suitable for all age groups?
Children below the age of 10 should be kept away from any kind of treatment whether it is a home remedy or a commercial product. Otherwise, Multani Mitti is suitable for all age groups.