For a fact, both men and women are capable of developing facial hair mainly on the upper lip region, chin and above the jaw bone. Men develop facial hair; it is considered a common phenomenon as the amount of hormones (mainly testosterone) produced by men is more. These hormones are referred to as the secondary sex characteristic of males. Women too have some (small) amount of testosterone present in their body, which causes hair to grow however they (mostly) choose to get away with their facial hair using laser treatment or wax strips and razors.
APPEARANCE OF FACIAL HAIR
Hormonal variations are extensively considered as a leading cause for facial hair to appear. It can be regarded as a biological process that also depends on genetic heritage and environmental factors.
- Hormonal imbalance production of male hormones called androgen causes facial hair to grow. Women too produce small amounts of testosterone but higher than normal amount of production may lead to increased sex drive, excess facial and body hair and affect the menstrual cycle. However, the reason behind excessive production of Androgen may vary.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome popularly known as PCOS; is a condition that occurs due to an imbalance of hormones which causes additional problems such as irregular menstrual cycle and unwanted hair growth.
- Cushing Syndrome develops when women are exposed to excess cortisol, at times overproduction of ACTH by the pituitary gland causes the Adrenal gland to produce a high level of cortisol. Medication such as prednisone used to treat asthma can also cause this syndrome.
- Obesity is perhaps a very common condition these days, one in every 10 people is obese. This is mainly due to the food we consume and our environment. When a person is Obese along with extra weight they bear excess body and facial hair.
- Medication taken for blood pressure such as minoxidil, birth control pills (contraceptives), steroids to increase immunity and body muscles interfere with the hormone change leading to the appearance of unwanted facial and body hair which is also accompanied and other side effects.
20 HOME REMEDIES TO REMOVE FACIAL HAIR
As an alternative to misspending money on various expensive and painful remedies like waxing, laser treatments, electrolysis to remove unwanted hair from the face and other unusual regions, you could try using the following home remedies; they are natural, less painful, pocket friendly and without any side effects.
Turmeric powder and water is easily available at home and also feeds as an antiseptic.
- Take 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and some water.
- Mix it into a thin paste.
- Apply on the hairy region.
- Wait till it dries.
- Take a wet tissue or cloth and wipe off the paste with the unwanted hair.
Honey and Sugared water is a homemade wax and its ingredients simple and easily available.
- Take 2 tablespoons of sugar 2 tablespoons of water
- Add 1 and a 1/2 spoon of honey
- Boil the mixture till the sugar dissolves and you get a thick waxy substance.
- Take a spatula and apply the mixture to the hairy region of your face.
- Place a strip or a cloth on the applied wax immediately and let it cool.
- Pull the strip and rip out the hair.
Egg White Mask is sticky hence sticks to the facial hair and efficiently rips it off keeping your skin fresh and young.
- Take 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon of sugar, ½ spoon cornstarch.
- Beat the mixture until it is even and smooth.
- Apply the paste on your face and wait till it is dry
- Wait a few minutes the paste will harden into a thick mass.
- Quickly take grip and rip off the mask.
TIP: make sure you rip it off quickly without damaging your skin.
Sugar and water This method is in use since ancient times. It the best remedy for sensitive skin it is less irritating and less painful.
- Take ¼ cup of water and set it to a boil.
- After the water is hot add ¼ cup lemon juice and 2 cups of sugar (brown or white either will do).
- Stir the mixture while it continues to heat till begins to bubble.
- Turn off the gas once its amber colour and let it cool slightly.
- Apply the slightly cooled paste to your face in the direction opposite to the hair growth.
- Put a cotton strip or a plain cloth on your face over the paste and let it cool for a few minutes.
- When the paste hardens rip it off in the direction of the hair growth.
Papaya and Turmeric papaya has enzymes that break down the hair follicles preventing them to appear again and adding turmeric makes papaya more effective.
- Take a scoop of raw Papaya and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Use a fork to mash the mixture and stir it into a thick paste.
- Using your fingers massage the paste gently on your face so that it gets absorbed.
- Let it dry for about 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water. You will notice the hair disappear.
Gelatin milk and lemon juice overall this mixture does great work in removing facial hair and is smooth enough to not harm your skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of gelatin powder with 3 tablespoons of whole milk, a few drops of lemon and 2 drops of lavender oil.
- Place the mixture in a microwave for not more than ½ a minute.
- Apply the slightly hot mixture to your face and wait for 5 minutes the mixture will stick quickly.
- After the wait, you can gently peel the mask off with your fingers.
TIP: Apply the mixture only to the hairy region of the face
Onion membrane and Basil This is a very effective remedy however it requires extra work. You need to peel off the thin membrane layers between onion slices.
- Take thin onion membranes (from onion layers) and 10 basil leaves.
- Use a pestle to crush the membranes and basil leaves into a thin paste.
- Apply the paste to unwanted facial hair and let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Wash the mask with lukewarm water and repeat the procedure till you achieve the desired result.
Gram flour and curd is the most commonly used remedy it not only helps remove hair but also makes your skin smooth. It can also be used on children and persons with delicate skin.
- Take 1 tablespoon of curd and 3 tablespoons of gram flour.
- Mix it well till it is smooth and even (it forms small balls make sure you mix them well).
- Apply the mixture gently on your face.
- Let it dry for a while, it will then become hard.
- Scrub off the dry paste with your fingers completely.
- Then wash your face with water.
- Repeat this procedure at least 4 times a week.
Spearmint Tea directly targets the production of androgen in our body which causes excessive hair growth and regulates hormone levels.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 4 to 5 fresh spearmint to it or dried spearmint to it.
- Cover the container and let it steam for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea at least twice a day.
Chickpea flour turmeric and milk crème – this exfoliates your skin to remove dead skin and hair.
- Use 3 tablespoons of chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon of milk crème and ½ teaspoon of turmeric.
- Stir the ingredients to mix them evenly into a thick paste.
- Apply it evenly on your face and let it dry.
- Scrub the dried mixture off your face.
- Wipe your face with a wet tissue or towel.
Lentil facemask – this surprisingly works as an excellent scrub to get rid of unwanted facial hair.
- Grind 1 and ½ up of lentil a few times in a fine mixture.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of powder and sufficient honey to make it into a paste.
- Apply it mixture gently to your face and let it relax for 20 minutes.
- After it is dry scrub it off completely.
- Wash your face with water.
Molasses Wax this homemade wax is quick and easy to make using either molasses or dark corn syrup.
- Take 1 cup sugar and a sufficient amount of either dark corn syrup or Molasses.
- While heating the mixture give it a stir and let it mix well.
- Wait till it takes the wax texture.
- Apply the wax on you’re hairy areas and quickly cover it with a wax strip or cloth.
- Rub the cloth with your hands and quickly pull off the cloth in a direction of the hair growth.
- Wash your face with clean water.
Oatmeal and Banana oatmeal contains antioxidants, it gives you smooth and hydrated skin. It reduces itchiness and redness and most importantly removes unwanted facial hair.
- 1 ripe mashed banana and 1 tablespoon oatmeal.
- Blend the mixture well (you can use your hands, fork).
- Apply a thick layer of paste on your face in a circular motion. Leave it for about 15 minutes
- Rub it against the direction of hair growth
- Wash it off with cold water.
Wheat bran Scrub is filled with nutrients, effectively removes unwanted facial hair and reduces wrinkles.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of Wheatbran and 1 tablespoon Milk efficiently.
- Apply the scrub on your face and give it a gentle massage till the scrub dries up.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the procedure every day for a week.
Apricot and Honey is an effective scrub as it is rich in vitamins and minerals as well as has a high concentration of lycopene.
- Take ½ cup of dried Apricots and 1 tablespoon of Honey.
- Grind the dried Apricot into a coarse powder and mix it well with honey.
- Apply the mixture on your face and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Now start scrubbing the mixture in a circular motion, massage the area at least for 10 minutes.
- Wash off the scrub with water.
Orange and Almond Peel is traditionally used in Chinese medicines. It is rich in vitamin C.
- You will need 1 teaspoon of powdered orange peel and 1 teaspoon of powdered lemon peel, 1 teaspoon of oatmeal and almond oil.
- Blend all the ingredients well into a paste and apply it to your face.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes then rub the scrub in a circular motion.
- Having scrubbed it well, wash it off with water.
Barley Scrub is especially useful for stubborn facial hair. It is also used to treat various skin conditions.
- Use 1 tablespoon barley powder and a sufficient amount of milk.
- Mix the ingredients well into a paste.
- Gently scrub the paste on your face and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 2-4 four times to see effective results.
Garlic some studies have found it to be a very effective remedy for removing facial hair, it isn’t an instant remedy (your unwanted hair will fall gradually). Garlic is vigorous in nature it could have an adverse effect on sensitive skin.
- Take 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed garlic juice
- Massage the juice on the areas of unwanted hair growth.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes (or lesser according to your skin condition).
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply lavender oil to give a nice fragrance and lock moisture.
Chasteberry- this flowering plant has anti-androgenic properties that help treat hirsutism (which is a condition developed due to excess hair growth on the face and body). Chaste berries will rightly help to balance the hormones required by women during and after ovulation. Chasteberry extract is available in capsule and tincture form.
- Taking 175 grams of this extract for 2-3 months on a regular basis helps control Androgens and regulates the menstrual cycle.
Corn Flour and Milk this mixture will stick to your skin firmly and when peeled off it removes hair along with it.
- Take 1 tablespoon cornflour and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Mix the ingredients well into a paste.
- Apply it on the hairy areas of the face and leave it to dry.
- Peel off the mask after 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure twice a week.
- Before using any scrub or mask try it on a small patch of your skin (thighs, hand) to check whether they have any side effects.
- Make sure the masks and scrubs you use do not enter your eyes, ears or nose, try focusing only on the hairy patch of your face.
- In case of itchiness or redness use an ice pack to ease the irritation. Apply a moisturizer after every use to avoid irritation.
- Wash your face clean after every use. Do not keep any hair removal mixture applied on your face overnight.
- Pregnant women and people under medication must consult their doctors before applying any of the remedies.
MYTHS AND FACTS
Myth: Waxing facial hair can lead to causing wrinkles and stretched skin.
Fact: While peeling off the wax strip the technician will hold your skin tight avoiding any skin movement therefore there are less chances of having stretched or wrinkled skin. However if you wax daily you may have this problem.
Myth: Soap and shaving crème have similar use.
Fact: Shaving crèmes both exfoliate and remove hair where as soap is not meant to remove hair it keeps the area clean. Yes it does soften the area making it easier to shave however it is not the same in its effectiveness.
Myth: Waxing, peeling and shaving in the direction opposite to the direction of hair growth is effective.
Fact: The direction in which to shave or peel does matter it should always be in the direction of the hair growth else it causes irritation and in growth.
Myth: Removing facial hair will enhance the hair growth.
Fact: This is absolutely false, as when the hair is ripped off from the follicle its growth only reduces and becomes slow.
Myth: Having facial and body hair is goodluck
Fact: Facial and body hair is only due to the production of excess of androgen. It is funny how people refer to body changes as good or bad luck according to their preferences.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is having facial hair genetic?
- Yes having facial and body hair is genetic, hereditary. It is due to the extra production of the secondary sex hormone. It is observed that this phenomenon is also racial. Mainly women in the Indian subcontinent and the Mediterranean region tend to grow excess hair, women in the European states rarely face this problem.
How frequently do you need to wax or should wax?
- You can wax whenever your hair appears again and is sufficiently grown so that it can be pulled out. However, these homemade remedies can be used 3-4 times a week.
Does having sex cause hair to grow in unusual places like the face?
- No, the amount of sex you have is not equally proportional to unwanted hair growth. It is caused due to overabundance of androgens like testosterone which is but a secondary sex hormone. Production of which can increase your desire for sex but not vice-a-versa.