Having thick and healthy hair is the desire of most people. However, we face many problems regarding our hair such as hair thinning, balding and hair dullness. All of these also result in major hair fall which can be quite a let-down. Although some amount of hair fall is normal, when it gets excessive and is not followed by the normal rate of hair growth, it can lead to balding. Needless to say, the issue of hair growth is trending and you can easily find clinics claiming to increase hair growth and solving all your worries.
But trust nature to provide you with the solutions to all your problems. There are several remedies you can do to make your hair grow back faster and thicker. This article provides you with complete information about slow hair growth including its probable causes and some effective home remedies.
Causes of slow hair growth
To stop this problem from recurring, one needs to address the root cause of it. Slow hair growth can be attributed to several factors:
Experts explain that our hair cells have three stages of development. After the completion of one cycle, a new hair strand begins to grow. You hair only grows about only half an inch per month. However, the duration of the growth cycle of your hair can vary from that of others. Hence, genetics also play a role in the speed of hair growth.
Your scalp needs to breathe too and the cells need to be exposed to air. However, if you suffer from chronic dandruff, this fungal infection will make it very difficult for your hair to absorb any goodness from the products you might be using. Dandruff makes your scalp itchy and sore. It gathers around your hair follicles and does not allow any moisture to get absorbed. To some extent, it even feeds off your scalp. All these factors in turn lead to slow hair growth.
Using hot tools:
It is a known fact that heat can potentially damage the hair shaft and make the hair follicles quite dry. Using heat styling tools such as blow dryer, straightening irons, curling irons or heated hair rollers will subject your hair to quite a lot of damage. The heat from such tools tends to make the hair brittle and weak from the roots. As a result the hair break more easily and the hair growth becomes slower. Heat also promotes conditions such as dandruff which has an adverse effect on hair growth as well.
We are what we eat and this could not be truer. Our diet plays a very important role in determining our skin and hair health. If we are constantly dehydrated, this will make our hair dry and prone to breakage. A diet lacking in collagen, vitamins and important nutrients will make your hair thinner. This happens due to the body’s natural mechanism of supplying the nutrition to more important areas of the body. If you are not consuming enough, then your body will not provide any nourishment to the hair (because they are dead tissues) and you will find your hair growing slower.
There are certain medications and drugs which can lead to slow hair growth. Such medications include antibiotics, birth control medication, cholesterol-lowering drugs, steroids and mood-stabilizing drugs. If you happen to be on any of these then it is advised to see your doctor and discuss the problem of slow hair growth accordingly.
Home remedies to help with slow hair growth
There are various ingredients you can find in your homes to achieve healthier hair. The following remedies will be easy to do and won’t cost as much as the expensive hair treatments as well.
Apple cider vinegar wash
Why: apple cider vinegar has natural cleansing properties but will not dry out the scalp. It restores the pH level of the hair to strengthen them and prevent them from breaking.
- Rinse your hair with some water to prepare your scalp. Make sure it is not dripping wet.
- Mix 1 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 litre of water and pour a little into a spray bottle.
- Spay the mixture on your roots as well as the ends.
- Let it sit for ½ an hour and then rinse with cold water.
- You can use the mixture as a rinse even after you shampoo.
Why: potato juice contains vitamins A and C. These vitamins promote hair growth.
- Grate two potatoes and squeeze out their juice.
- Apply this juice all over your scalp and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- You can do this remedy every time before shampooing.
Precautions: the potato is also a mild and natural bleaching agent. Do not use this remedy on freshly coloured hair as it might cause the colour to fade away faster.
Why: coconut oil is greatly hydrating and its molecules are small enough to get absorbed into the hair follicles. It has anti-fungal properties which will help to remove any dandruff. It also promotes thicker hair and prevents split ends as well as breakage.
- Take 100% pure coconut oil and massage onto the entire length of your hair.
- Make sure your hair is completely covered.
- Leave for 2 hours or overnight.
- Wash away using shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- You must do this treatment every time before shampooing.
Precautions: coconut oil sticks to the hair and can be a little hard to wash away. You may have to shampoo twice but the treatment has a lot of benefits.
Why: argan oil treats dry and dull hair along with stimulating the scalp to secrete natural oils which will help to enhance hair growth quite rapidly.
- Take some argan oil and massage it across the length of your hair.
- Leave it overnight for maximum hydration.
- Shampoo as usual.
- You can even use a few drops after rinsing your hair to seal in the moisture.
Why: mustard oil strengthens the hair roots and stops hair fall.
- Warm up some mustard oil.
- Make sure it is not very hot.
- Apply it to your scalp and leave for about 2 hours.
- Rinse it using your usual shampoo.
- You can do this remedy twice a week.
Precaution: mustard oil is very sticky and has a pungent fragrance. It may not get completely removed after a single wash. Shampoo twice and lather very well.
Henna- egg hair mask
Why: henna adds a natural shine to the hair. It also helps to prevent hair fall. Egg contains proteins which make the hair extremely soft and promote hair growth.
- Mix 1 cup of henna powder with ½ cup of milk.
- Add one egg (along with the yolk) and incorporate well.
- You can add more milk if you find the mixture to be too thick for application.
- Apply this mixture evenly to your hair and leave the hair mask until it dries up completely.
- Wash with cold water to remove the henna chunks and then shampoo as usual.
Precautions: henna can stain your clothes orange. While doing this remedy, wear an old t-shirt. Apply Vaseline to your hairline to prevent staining your skin. Use a hairbrush to apply or wear plastic gloves to prevent your nails from turning red. Shampoo well so that the smell of the egg does not linger.
Why: onions contain sulphur which helps in the regrowth of hair and stops hair fall after a few uses.
- Chop some onions and blend them.
- Pour into a cheesecloth and strain out the juice.
- Apply this on your hair and leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash with shampoo as usual.
- Do this remedy once a week.
Precautions: soak the onions in some water to remove excess sulphur which could cause irritation in the eyes. Wash well with shampoo as the smell of onions could linger.
Yoghurt and green tea hair mask
Why: yoghurt contains proteins which make your hair smoother and softer. Green tea contains plenty of antioxidants to promote faster hair growth.
- To ½ cup of yoghurt, add some green tea concentrate.
- Mix well and apply this mixture to your hair.
- Leave it until your hair feels dry.
- Shampoo as usual.
Vitamin E hair mask
Why: vitamin E increases blood circulation in the scalp and promotes faster hair growth.
- Mix some vitamin E oil along with 2 egg whites and apply this to your hair.
- Leave it for an hour and then wash with some mild shampoo.
Why: flaxseeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which makes the hair healthier and stronger.
- Take 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds and mix with 1 cup of water.
- Allow this to boil until you see the water turning into a gel.
- Turn the heat off and strain immediately.
- Allow the gel to cool down.
- Apply this gel to your hair after you wash them. This gel is non-sticky and gets absorbed into the hair very quickly.
- You can apply this gel to your hair as many times as you prefer.
Precautions for hair growth
Listed below are some precautions you must take in order to avoid hair damage and slow hair growth:
- Stop using heat styling tools.
- Use a heat protectant on your hair before you step out in the sun.
- Start oiling your hair twice a week to make up for the lack of moisture.
- Start using sulphate free shampoos to avoid over working your hair.
- Allow your hair to air dry.
- Do not keep your hair tied up for too long as this could stretch your hair and cause breakage.
- Avoid eating foods with empty calories as they decrease nutrition and can increase scalp related problems.
Myths and facts related to hair growth
|Using multiple shampoos can lead to hair loss.
||Our scalp does not develop preference to any product, so you can freely alternate between shampoos. In fact, this may help to prevent build-up.
|Plucking grey hair will cause more of them to grow.
||Hair turns grey when the cells stop producing pigment. Plucking one strand will not affect the growth of others.
|Cutting hair will make them grow faster.
||Hair growth happens at the roots and trimming the edges or ends will not impact it in any form.
|All clinical treatments for hair growth give results.
||Clinical treatments claim to provide results but they are not always long lasting. In fact, you will have to invest lot of time as well as money.
Frequently asked questions
Can stress cause hair fall?
Stress can definitely lead to mild hair fall but this is only temporary.
Are there any foods which can help to prevent hair fall?
Our diet is directly linked to our hair health. The most important nutrient is protein. It makes your hair stronger and stops hair fall in time. Protein rich foods such as chicken, eggs and nuts can help. Iron also makes the hair follicle stronger. Spinach and other green leafy vegetables are rich in iron. Fibre rich foods also help to increase hair strength.
Are hair supplements effective in enhancing hair growth?
Hair supplements are definitely very effective in increasing hair growth. While you cannot control the genetic factors, you can certainly maintain your hair health by taking supplements of omega 3 and biotin. Our body cannot make omega 3 fatty acids itself and therefore supplements can compensate for the loss. Biotin concentrate supplements can stop hair fall within a few days.
Does hair fall increase with age?
As we age, our hair cells produce less pigment (leading to grey hair), and the strands tend to grow thinner. This makes them prone to breakage and as a result hair fall increases.
Are there any over the counter products which can help with hair loss?
There are certain oils and solutions which you can find in pharmacies to help with hair loss. However, the problem with such products is that as soon as you stop using them, the symptoms will return and you will have to look for alternatives.