Sitting under the warm sun and soaking vitamin D may seem tempting and fun to do but it has its own complications. Overexposure to the sun can lead to sunburn marks all over the body which can be as dangerous as it is unattractive to look at. Although it is not such a severe disease, having some remedies at home will make you better prepared if you are suffering from a sunburn.
Ingredients required: Ice Cubes, Wet washcloth
- Put some ice cubes in a wet washcloth and wrap them tightly.
- Lightly dab and press the cold compress on the sunburned areas for 20-30 minutes few times a day.
- Repeat this process for around a week until you are unable to see the sunburnt marks.
- Never forget that putting direct ice on the skin can cause an ice burn.
Ingredients Required: Teabags
- Soak 2-3 tea bags in a cup of hot water.
- Let the water cool down to room temperature. You can also add ice to the water.
- after removing the Tea Bags, place them on the sunburned areas directly.
- Black tea contains tannins which are a natural astringent and help in healing burns and inflammations.
- Leave the tea bags on the area until they have cooled down totally.
- Repeat this process a couple of times daily.
Ingredients required: Oatmeal, cold water, cotton washcloth
- Put a cup of oatmeal in a sieve and pass cold water through it.
- Collect the oatmeal water in a separate bowl.
- Soak the oatmeal water with the cotton washcloth and apply it to the affected area.
- This remedy is very simple and quick to recreate so use it every three to four hours to treat the sunburn.
Ingredients Required: Aloe leaf
- Cut open a fresh aloe leaf and extract the gel.
- Spread the aloe gel on the sunburned area and cover it with a cotton washcloth for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off the gel using cold water.
- Repeat this procedure at infrequent intervals or at least twice daily.
Ingredients required: Potatoes, Baking soda
- Boil a couple of potatoes and peel them completely.
- Mash the potatoes and then add a tablespoon of baking soda into it.
- Spread this mixture on the affected areas and leave it like that for 10-15 minutes.
- The starch in the potato mixed with baking soda prevents the burning sensation caused by the sunburn and releases the heat trapped in the body.
Ingredients required: Plain yogurt, water
- Mix a cup of plain yogurt with 4 cups of water.
- Be sure to choose plain yogurt as yogurt with added flavours and preservatives to have fewer probiotics in them diminishing its capability to provide relief.
- Put a wet cloth in the yogurt mixture and then place it over the affected area.
- Use two-three clothes if the burn is bigger in size or there are several different sunburn spots on your body.
- Keep the burn covered for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it with cold water.
- Repeat this process every 2 to 4 hours.