Healthy and glowing skin is desired by everyone. Having glowing skin makes you look fresh and attractive. It develops a positive aura around you. To have amazing skin you need to take care of it and work on it by making sure your skin is well moisturized and tan free.
There are many causes for loss in the glow of your skin with varying intensities and depending upon the skin type:
- Sun Tan especially prolonged direct exposure to the sun causes redness and rash. A certain amount of exposure to the sun is good for skin health as it provides vitamin D. The skin responds by producing melanin giving it the appearance of a tan, this is a protective reaction; however excessive exposure can lead to damaging of skin cells, darkening of the skin and may trigger the appearance of dark spots.
- Low-quality makeup/ too much makeup can make your skin dry and dehydrated. As the skin loses moisture and clogs pores with impurities which could lead to acne and blackheads. When the makeup is not tested and is of low quality it reacts with your skin causing rashes.
- Alcohol- some type of alcohol is considered good for maintaining skin health as it balances the fat. However, it steals good hydration and replaces it with impurities and dryness. It also affects your appearance.
- Lack of sleep deprives your skin of nourishment and enough hydration. Your skin becomes imbalanced, hinders your pH level and weakens your skin cells making you look old. Not getting enough sleep causes dark circles and eye bags to appear which make you look exhausted.
- Dehydration reduces stamina and strength and the moisture on your skin, eventually, your skin looks dry, dull and worn out. It depletes all essential minerals, vitamins that provide the glow.
- The rise in Stress levels shows on your face as well. Increased stress increases blood pressure, sleep problems and various other health issues. It directly affects skin health. Making it dry and worn out as your skin cells get destroyed.
- The Environment we live in is polluted. The dust in the air steals the skin glow and affects your complexion. It causes uneven skin tone, accelerates aging and causes cellular level reactions. Pollution breaks down the abundant protein (collagen) in your body and the fatty layer of the skin.
- Smoking depletes your body nutrients like vitamin C. It has a negative impact on your skin like it forms eye bags, untimely aging, loss of natural glow and darkens your complexion. The risks of acne scars and breakouts are much higher.
- Unbalanced diet– A balanced diet is very necessary for overall skin health. To keep your skin regularly hydrated you must consume a sufficient amount of minerals, vitamins and water.
20 Home Remedies to attain Glowing Skin.
Gram flour and curd is a very popular remedy, it is easily available at home and very effective for dry skin.
- Take ½ cup gram flour and 2 tablespoons curd.
- Mix the ingredients well using your fingers. It will tend to form tiny balls, make sure you mix them well.
- Apply the mixture on your skin evenly and let it dry.
- Wait for it to get hardened and then scrub it off using your fingers.
- It will hurt a little especially if you have severe hair growth.
- Take a shower with lukewarm water. You can use soap while taking a shower.
Lemon is the best ingredient to clear your skin of all impurities. The citric acid present in lemon helps remove dead skin cells and dark spots, it improves the cell renewal process and helps bleach your skin brightening the overall complexion.
- Mix juice of 1 lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Apply it on your face and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Another way to use lemon to exfoliate your skin is-
- Take the juice of 1 lemon and powdered sugar (I prefer powdered sugar as it is easier to mix).
- Mix it well into a paste.
- Apply it on your face and neck. You can use it on your hands and legs (then you will need more quantities of sugar and lemons).
- Let it settle for about 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water and soap.
- You can take freshly squeezed raw lemon juice.
- Spray it on your face.
- Wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off using water only.
Turmeric is an excellent antiseptic, it helps reduce scars and also improves your skin tone. It alleviates allergic reactions and inflammatory skin problems which make your skin lifeless.
- Take 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and an equal amount of gram flour.
- Mix turmeric powder with gram flour well, then add a sufficient amount of milk/ rose water (enough to form a thick paste).
- Apply the mixture evenly on your skin and let it dry.
- Then wash it with plain water, scrubbing your skin in a circular motion.
Aloe Vera has anti-bacterial properties, which prevent bacteria that cause acne, and anti-inflammatory properties, which give a smooth irritation-free skin and helps heal scars. It is an excellent rejuvenator for undernourished skin.
- Take a scoop of Aloe Vera pulp by extracting it from its leaf.
- Use cotton to apply it on your skin.
- Allow it to dry at least for half an hour.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure daily for at least a week.
Baking Soda very well balances the ph level of your skin which is very essential for its glowing. It exfoliates your skin keeping it free of dead skin cells and other impurities.
- Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda with lemon juice and water.
- It will form a thin paste; let it rest for a while.
- Apply the paste onto your damp skin evenly.
- Massage your skin in a circular motion for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain cold water.
- You can repeat this process twice a week.
Almond Oil is filled with proteins. It contains vitamins and minerals which repair vital skin tissues. This in turn helps to avoid wrinkles. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties and makes your skin glow, improves skin texture, reduces the appearance of scars and helps remove dark circles. It also has minerals like calcium; iron and magnesium which help maintain moisture levels, & potassium, sodium and zinc revive your skin.
- One way you can use almond oil is by directly applying it to your skin and leaving it overnight. The next morning after taking bath you will notice the difference.
Another way of using almond oil is-
- Take 2 tablespoons of almond oil and mix it with 1 tablespoon gram flour.
- Blend the ingredients evenly into a paste.
- Apply it all over your skin evenly and let it dry.
- Wait for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub it off and then use water to wash your body.
Cucumber contains a high quantity of water hence it is an excellent hydrating and nourishing agent. It repairs damaged skin and removes dead skin.
- Cut thick pieces of cucumber and blend it using a blender to obtain its juice.
- Squeeze some lemon in the cucumber juice and stir.
- Apply it on your face and let it dry. You can leave it on and take a nap or you can leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can repeat this process twice or thrice a week as and when it is suitable for you.
Milk and Avocado– Avocado is highly nutritious and promotes cell regeneration and cell growth as it contains biotin and vitamin B7. The fatty acids in the fruit help in lubrication. Milk has lactic acid which helps best to remove scars.
- Take a scoop of avocado and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix the ingredients well into a nice evenly mixed paste.
- Apply it onto your skin and let it dry for about an hour or two. You can choose to take a nap while your skin absorbs the essentials.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- You can repeat this process every day for at least a week to see the best results.
Tomato puree and Lemon– tomato is a natural astringent, it unclogs and treats pores, adjourns aging and whitens skin and when it is accompanied by lemon it enhances the effects.
- Take 1 tomato and squeeze to obtain its puree and add a few drops of lemon to it.
- Stir the ingredients well (if you find it difficult to stir add curd or rose water).
- Apply the mixture to your skin and let it settle for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with water; you can also use soap (body wash/ face wash) while washing your face.
Bitter gourd (Karela) helps eliminate infection and improves digestion. It also purifies blood to provide glowing skin.
- Peel two bitter gourds and remove seeds.
- Blend them with lemon water in a blender.
- You may add pepper for taste.
- Drink this juice every morning before you start your day
- Repeat the procedure regularly.
Sandalwood – There is a wide range of medicinal properties of sandalwood that makes it the best and most reliable. It has anti-aging properties which help in shrinking pores and provide an even texture and anti-tanning properties which help soothe harsh sunburns.
- Take fresh sandalwood paste and rub it on your skin.
- Let it settle for about 30 minutes.
- Once it is dry wash it away with lukewarm water.
Another way to use sandalwood is-
- Take 1 tablespoon sandalwood paste, 1 tablespoon sandalwood oil, 1 tablespoon gram flour and 1 tablespoon rose water or milk.
- Mix the ingredients well into a paste.
- Apply the paste on your skin and massage your skin in a circular motion.
- Let it rest and get absorbed for 20 minutes.
- Wash it away using lukewarm water.
Papaya and fresh cream– this mixture helps in nourishing your skin and adds a protective layer. Scrubbing the mask to your face will help remove impurities.
- Take 2 scoops of papaya pulp and 1 tablespoon of fresh crème.
- Blend the mixture into a clean paste (stir the mixture to avoid the formation of lumps).
- Apply the paste to your skin and let it settle for 15 minutes.
- Take a shower as you do regularly.
Multani mitti also known as ‘fuller’s earth’ is an age-old remedy for almost all skin issues. It cleans, exfoliates and blemishes skin to provide a radiant and blemish-free look.
- Take an equal amount of Multani mitti and dried orange peels’ powder and a sufficient amount of milk or rose water to make a paste.
- Make a thick evenly mixed the paste with all the above-mentioned ingredients.
- Apply the paste onto your skin and massage gently.
- Let it rest for 2-3 three hours, if you are comfortable you can keep it on overnight.
- Wash it off with plain water.
Cod Liver oil comes in capsule form; you can choose to eat it or slit it open to apply the oil to your face (mind you it carries a Fishy stink). It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin A and D, these nourish the skin, repair damaged cells and gives the face a radiant glow.
- Take 2 capsules of cod liver oil a day.
- Prick the capsule open and apply the oil inside, onto your face and neck. You can choose to mix it with milk before application.
- Massage your skin for 10 minutes and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your face with water and also use a cleanser.
Neem, also known as the Margosa tree, is a natural cleanser that dislodges toxins from the body and thus helps clear the skin from pimples and other skin eruptions. It is light in nature and gradually helps reduce heat. It is an ayurvedic product, also works as a natural antiseptic.
- Extract the Neem juice by grating its fresh leaves.
- Add a few drops of rose water to the extract.
- Apply the extract onto your skin and wait for it to dry.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Yogurt and Honey– Yogurt has minerals and vitamins. It also has high levels of lactic acid which keeps your skin smooth, fresh, nourished and hydrated.
- Take 2 tablespoons of yogurt (full fat) and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Blend well into a thick paste.
- Apply the thick layer of the paste onto your skin.
- Wait for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with soap and water.
Carrot juice has many benefits for body and skin health. It has antioxidants that remove free radicals. They are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin A which help attain an even skin texture.
- Cut carrot and ginger into slices and extract their juice.
- Add some milk/water to dilute the mixture.
- Drink this juice in the morning before breakfast.
- You can consume this every day.
Egg white and milk– it has astringent properties which shrink pores and tightens your skin hence defer aging and add a glow. It is rich in all the essential minerals.
- Take 1 tablespoon egg white and add 2 teaspoons milk and a few drops of lemon.
- Stir the ingredients efficiently (egg white can be very stubborn).
- It will form a thin paste, apply it onto your skin and wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain water and soap.
- Then soak cotton in rose water and wipe your face and skin.
- Always apply a good sunscreen 30 minutes prior to stepping out.
- Avoid stepping out between 11 am to 3 pm as during this time period the sun rays are the strongest and could damage your skin.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes so that your skin can breathe and release the trapped moisture.
- Avoid spicy, fried and fermented food, excess salt and citrus fruits. Instead, try foods that are easy to digest.
- Stick to 1 non-toxic soap. Switching soaps may lead to skin damage.
- After waxing, avoid using soap and hot water, instead use remedy #1 mentioned above.
Diet for Glowing Skin
- Water– Drink a minimum of 3.5 litres of water a day, this is the basic necessity for proper hydration, healthy skin and overall body health.
- Fruits like avocado, papaya, boiled tomatoes and blueberries are rich in antioxidants which help tackle aging and nourish your skin.
- Eggs– these are high in vitamins like vitamin B, biotin which helps in the proper functioning of cells. One egg a day is a must.
- Ghee– Not everyone likes the smell and taste of ghee, it is considered fatty; however, this helps in deferring aging.
- Oats are nutrient-rich foods, which brighten up your skin, reduce inflammation and gut bacteria.
- Eat whole-grain foods like whole-wheat bread, pasta which help reduce inflammation and carry health-boosting nutrients. Avoid white foods like white bread and white pasta as they are high glycolic diets and increase inflammation.
- Dark chocolates-The antioxidants in this help reduce roughness and surprisingly provide sun protection. It is rich in pre and pro-biotic which heal inflammation. It is time to replace your milk governed chocolates with rich cocoa.
Myths and Facts
Myth: It’s too late to start using sunscreen.
Fact: It’s never too late to protect your skin from the sun. Skin can also repair itself, given the opportunity, but it can take several years.
Myth: Scrubbing your face with soap will keep your skin healthy and acne free.
Fact: When you scrub your face, you are taking off some of the protective oils, which will lead to rashes and burns; soaps also make your skin dry. Instead, it is preferred you use a mild cleanser followed by a moisturizer or sunscreen.
Myth: What you eat doesn’t affect your skin.
Fact: Skimmed milk and refined carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, chips, and cornflakes might actually make acne worse. Food items carrying heat are hazardous for our skin.
Myth: You will eventually outgrow acne
Fact: The notion of adult acne, what triggers acne and helps it resolve aren’t dependent on age. Also, having clear skin as a teenager isn’t a guarantee that you will not get acne later in life. It solely depends on the circumstances and your skin’s ability to fight impurities.
Myth: All Skin Damage Occurs by the Age of 18 years
Fact: No. UV-ravaged skin will turn from bad to worse if you expose it to the sun. After the age of 18 we tend expose our skin to the sun far more often for various reasons like college, work, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to deal with rashes occurring due to exposure to the sun?
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to stepping out. Exfoliate your skin regularly and use mild sunscreen and soap.
Till what age will the skin glow last?
- It differs from person to person as the diet each one follows is different and each one has different stress levels. It also depends on your fitness whether or not your skin will sag. However it is observed, your skin takes a major turn in your thirties it is mainly due to hormone change and a busy schedule.
How to even skin texture?
- Taking care of your skin regularly will help maintain an even texture especially when you keep your pores filled with moisture and avoid inflammation or dryness.