A facial refers to a skin treatment that includes steam, face masks, extraction, exfoliation, creams, lotions, massage and peels. It is done to slow down the ageing process and to make the skin disease resistant and spot resistant. Many types of facials are available in beauty salons for various skin types. In this article, we will be reading about some home remedies to do facials.
Why do we need a facial?
We need facial to rejuvenate our skin and make it look fresh and attractive. A facial is helpful in cleansing toxins from our skin, repairing damaged skin cells and removing dead skin cells. This makes our skin glow and look fresh and active. There are various benefits of Facial as stated below –
- Slows down the ageing process – Facials are helpful in slowing down the ageing process and they make our skin look younger, brighter and fresher. They repair the skin cells and remove the dead cells for a younger look.
- Cleansing – Facials cleanse the skin deeply and remove toxins from our skin. This leads to healthier disease-free skin that is free from acne, blackheads and other problems too.
- Improves blood circulation – Facials help improve blood circulation in the upper layers of skin and enable more oxygenated blood to flow through the skin cells making the skin look young and fresh.
A variety of facials are available in various beauty salons but there are various natural methods to do facials at home using various natural remedies.
20 home remedies to do facial at home to get clean and soft skin are mentioned below –
Banana Facial – Using a banana as a face mask is the easiest way to do a facial at home.
- Just take a ripe banana and mash it into a smooth paste.
- Apply it to your face and neck and let it settle for 10-20 minutes.
- Now, clean your face with cold water and pat dry it with a clean towel.
Vinegar facial – Vinegar has been used as a skin toner for a long time and it is still effective in doing so.
- You just need to add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to two cups of water and wash your face with the mixture. This mixture cleanses and tightens your skin to give it a natural glow.
Lemon facial – Lemon is rich in vitamin C and it has properties to repair damaged skin cells and remove dead skin cells leaving the skin flawless.
- Just squeeze a lemon and apply the lemon juice to your face and neck.
- Let it dry for 10 min, and then wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Rub some cucumber slices on your face to moisturize it and make your skin softer.
Honey facial – Honey is a good home remedy to do facial at home because of its moisturizing and antibacterial properties.
- Just apply some honey to your face and neck, once it dries naturally wash it off with lukewarm water. This leaves your skin moisturized and healthy.
Milk facial –
- Mix just enough water to ¼ cup of powdered milk so that a paste is formed.
- Apply this paste to your face and let it dry.
- Now, rinse your face with warm water and feel the freshness of your skin.
Mayonnaise facial –
- Apply some whole egg mayonnaise to your face and let it settle for about 20 minutes.
- Now, wipe it off and wash your face with cold water. Your skin will become clean and smooth.
Turmeric facial – Turmeric is best known for its antiseptic and scar removing properties. Turmeric acts as a good home remedy for facial at home.
- Just mix an equal amount of turmeric powder and gram flour and make a paste by adding some milk or water.
- Apply this paste on your face and neck and let it dry naturally.
- Now wash your face with lukewarm water while gently scrubbing your face in a circular motion.
Aloe Vera facial – Aloe Vera is a natural plant that has various properties like antibacterial properties, anti-inflammatory properties and astringent properties that prevent acne, irritated skin and heals scars respectively.
- Just cut open some Aloe Vera and apply the pulp evenly to your face.
- Let it dry naturally and then wash it with lukewarm water.
- Enjoy fresh and glowing skin.
Baking Soda facial – Baking soda is effective in dealing with problems like acne, spots, scars, etc.
- Mix some water or lemon juice to one teaspoon of baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your face and clean your face with it.
- Now rinse your face with some lukewarm water and pat dry it with a clean towel.
Oatmeal facial mask –
- Mix 1/3 cup oatmeal into ½ cup of hot water and let the mixture settle for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add two tablespoons of plain yoghurt, two tablespoons of honey and egg white from one egg.
- Apply this mixture to your face and let it settle for about 15 minutes.
- Now wash your face with warm water.
Yoghurt facial – Yoghurt is good for cleansing and tightening the skin. It can be used to do facials at home.
- Simply spread some yoghurt on your face and let it stay for 15-20 minutes, and then rinse it off with normal tap water.
Egg facial – Egg is good for both our skin and hair.
- People with oily skin can beat the egg white and apply it to their faces. Whereas people with dry skin should use the egg yolk to provide moisture to their skin. The complete egg can be used by people with normal skin.
- Relax for 30 minutes and then clean your face with normal water.
Cucumber facial – Cucumbers have various properties like moisturizing, nourishing and hydrating the skin. They are useful in removing dead skin cells and repairing damaged skin cells.
- Simply cut some cucumber slices and rub them on your face, let it stay overnight and wash in the morning.
- You can mix an equal amount of cucumber and lemon juice and apply this to your face.
- Let it dry naturally and then wash your face.
Papaya facial – Papaya is good for improving the skin texture and cleansing the skin. It is also a natural bleaching agent and can lighten spots present on the face.
- Prepare a paste of some chopped pieces of papaya, honey, and sandalwood powder.
- Now apply this paste on your face and neck and let it stay for half an hour.
- Then rinse it off with cold water, pat dry your face and then apply some rose water.
Mustard facial – Yellow mustard can be used as a home remedy for facial at home.
- Just pat your face with some mild yellow mustard to provide a simple yet effective facial to yourself.
- Do try this on a small part of your skin first to make sure that mustard doesn’t cause irritation to your skin.
Walnut facial –
- Make a paste by mixing two teaspoons of walnut powder and two tablespoons of plain yoghurt.
- Apply this mixture to your face and neck and let it dry.
- Once it’s dried, rinse the face with water while scrubbing the face slowly.
Coconut oil facial –
- Warm some coconut oil gently and apply it to your face and neck using some cotton.
- Now massage your face for about 10 minutes and then rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Mint facial –
- Prepare a mixture by adding one teaspoon of mint powder, one tablespoon yoghurt and one tablespoon fuller’s earth (Multani mitti).
- Let the mixture settle for half an hour and then apply it to your face.
- Let it dry and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Tomato facial –
- Prepare tomato puree of one tomato and add one tablespoon oatmeal and one teaspoon yoghurt to it.
- Apply this mixture to your face and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with normal water.
Strawberry and Chocolate face pack –
- Blend four strawberries and then add one tablespoon of cocoa powder and one teaspoon of honey to it.
- Now apply this mixture to your face and let it stay for about 15 minutes.
- Wash it with warm water and then pat dry your face with a clean towel for perfect glowing skin and an amazing facial at home.
Facials are performed by professionals at beauty salons, so we need to take care of certain precautions while doing facials at home.
Some Precautions are stated below –
- Always make sure to clean your face with a suitable soap or face wash before doing a facial.
- Do not scrub your face for at least the next 4-5 days to avoid any irritation or redness on the skin.
- Use only mild soaps and face washes to clean your face for some days after the facial.
- Do not steam your face after a facial at all after a facial because this could lead to the breaking of capillaries in your skin because of further widening of already open pores.
- Drink a lot of water and keep yourself hydrated for the next few days after a facial.
- Do not apply any cream or sunscreen to your face for at least one-day post-facial.
- Do not get your face waxed or threaded for at least two days post-facial.
- Avoid touching your skin for one day after performing a facial at home.
Myths and facts
|We start ageing in 30’s.
||We start ageing at 20 due to the decrease of collagen in our bodies.
|Steaming should be done at a high temperature for good results.
||Steaming at high temperatures is harmful to our skin as it can cause burning of the skin and breaking of some capillaries in our skin.
|The face is cool after a facial treatment.
||The face actually becomes hot after a facial treatment.
|Facials are only for pampering purposes.
||Facials are essential for our skin to stay healthy and youthful.
|Facial at home using natural remedies are not so effective.
||Natural remedies have a great tendency to cleanse and detoxicate the skin very effectively.
|Facial cause pimples.
||Facials cleanse our skin deeply leaving very low chances of breakouts.
Tips for Healthy Facial Skin
There are certain things that need to be kept in mind after a facial so that we can keep our skin healthy and glowing for a longer period. Some tips for maintaining healthy facial skin are given below –
- The skin becomes delicate post-facial. So we should refrain from touching our face to avoid transferring germs and dirt to the face through our hands.
- Facial causes heating up of the skin so we should keep ourselves hydrated for better and glowing skin.
- Stay away from the sun at least for two-three days after a facial to avoid any kind of irritation or redness on the skin
- Avoid the use of any soap or face wash on your face for at least 24 hours post-facial.
- Do not use makeup for at least 12 hours post-facial to keep your skin healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Que. What is the duration after which I should get another facial at home?
Ans. Natural facials can be done easily at home and they are safe to do once every week. They do not contain chemicals and so you can comfortably use them once a week without any problem.
Que. Which facial should I use according to my skin type?
Ans. If you have dry skin you should prefer to use facials that provide moisture to your skin, for e.g. cucumber facial, honey facial etc. If you have oily skin you should use the egg white facial that absorbs the excess oil. And if you have normal skin, any homemade facial can be used by you.
Que. Should I cover my face after my facial to avoid contact with the surroundings?
Ans. No, it is not advisable to cover your face after a facial. In fact, you should let your skin breathe so that the head from your skin is released. It is only mandatory for you to avoid contact with dirt and germs.
Que. When should I get my threading and upper lips done?
Ans. The skin becomes delicate post-facial and you should not touch your skin much. The threading and upper lips should be done at least one or two days before you get a facial.