Basic face wash routine involves cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. Most of us just apply some moisturizer after face wash, but dermatologists strongly recommend the use of toner after each time you wash your face.
Dermatologist says, “toners are most helpful and necessary for people with oily or acne-prone skin, or for people who want extra cleansing after wearing makeup or other heavy skin products such as sun screen.”
Benefits of toner
It shrinks pores.
Applying a small amount of toner, like Nelsons Pure & Clear Balancing Toner ($10.95 at Nelsons Pure and Clear), to a soft cotton ball or pad and gently blotting and wiping your face with it will remove oil and give the appearance of smaller pores.
It gives your skin pH balance.
Our skin is naturally acidic, normally with a pH balance of between five and six. After cleansing, due to the alkaline nature of soap, the pH balance of skin gets disturbed. When this happens your skin needs to work overtime to restore the balance (and that may result in oil), but using a toner helps to restore this balance quickly.
It adds a layer of protection.
Toners can help close pores and tighten cell gaps after cleansing, thus reducing the penetration of impurities and environmental contaminants into the skin. It can even protect and remove chlorines and minerals present in tap water.
Some toners are humectants, which means that they help to bind moisture to the skin.
It refreshes the skin.
Toner can also be used in lieu of washing your skin when it’s oily or dirt. It will leave your skin revitalized, even when you’re on-the-go.
It can prevent ingrown hairs.
Toners containing glycolic or other alpha hydroxy acids can help to prevent ingrown hairs, so it also aids in grooming.
It prepares the skin to absorb skin care products faster
Think of your skin like a sponge, it will absorb the skin care products better only if your skin is moist, hence it is really important to use a toner after cleansing your face with a face wash. Try to use a toner that is suitable for your skin type to get the best results. If you have oily skin, then use a salicylic or glycolic acid based toner. If you have extremely dry or chaffed skin then find a toner with chamomile extracts. Never skip using toners, it is not an additional step, it is a necessity for your skin.
Toners help you to get rid of an uneven skin tone
If you have an uneven skin tone or if your skin has uneven dark patches, then grab a toner immediately. They can give you an even skin tone. Using the right toner twice daily can visibly improve your skin complexion with due course of time.
Toners and facial mists hydrate your skin
If a toner dries out your skin excessively, then use a natural face mist like rose water or lavender water. These toners will instantly add hydration and make your skin soft and supple. Even if you feel tired in the middle of the day, just spritz on some facial mist to lift up your skin’s mood.
Choosing a Toner
Now, the toners come in different types which are divided depending on multiple different factors. You should look for a toner which is appropriate for your skin type and always stay away from ones which have alcohol in them as they are very drying for the skin and may cause harm to it.
- If you have large visible pores, go for a toner which contains alpha-hydroxy acids like glycolic acid which help cleanse the skin from dead skin cells. These dead skin cells pile up over time around the pores which increases their visibility.
- If you have acne-prone skin, a salicylic acid-based toner would work best for you. Such toners will help reduce the amount of sebum on your skin while not drying out your skin too much. Toners which have alcohol in it might be recommended to you for this purpose but stay away from alcohol-based toners.
- If you have sensitive skin then you should stay away from salicylic acid too as that can be quite harsh on the skin. Look for a toner which is made up of botanical and naturally-sourced ingredients which calm and soothe the skin like witch hazel.
- If you have dull, lifeless skin, opt for a toner which has exfoliating properties such as provided by lactic acid. Natural exfoliants in that vein are really useful as they will deep cleanse the skin and help brighten up your skin.
- If you suffer from excessively dry skin, then look for a toner which contains ingredients which are hydrating and nourishing to the skin. Look for options which contain amino acids in them.
- If you have mature skin then opt for toners which are hydrating and also contain antioxidants for your skin. Some ingredients which provide these properties to look out for in the toners are glycerin, hyaluronic acid, rose water, etc. All of this help deeply hydrate the skin which is crucial for mature skin.
Honey Chamomile Homemade Toner
Now, we will learn to make out own homemade toner from fantastic natural ingredients which are awesome for the skin and help improve the health and look of your skin significantly.
- Water: 1 cup
- Chamomile flowers: 1 tbsp
- Honey: 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar: 2-6 tbsp
- First of all, boil a cup of water and then take that in a pot with the chamomile flowers.
- Then, let the chamomile steep in the hot water for about 10 minutes.
- After that, strain out the flowers and add the other ingredients to the pot.
- Then, combine all the ingredients together thoroughly by stirring.
- After that, transfer the solution in a spray bottle or some container and its ready to use.
- To use it, cleanse your face first and then spray the toner or apply it onto your skin using a cotton ball.
- Lastly, finish with a moisturizer and you are done!
You can certainly replace this as your regular toner and use it every day. This one will be good for about a month before you will have to make some more.