As you age, you may notice changes in your skin tone, such as the appearance of dark spots, patches, or under-eye circles. These circles can be attributed to factors like fatigue, dehydration, and lack of sleep, but they may also be related to hyperpigmentation—a condition characterized by an excess of darker pigment in the skin. While generally not a cause for concern, you might want to diminish their visibility. Here are some effective home remedies to address under-eye pigmentation:
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): Apple cider vinegar boasts antibacterial and antifungal properties that are effective in reducing spots and patches. The presence of malic acid in ACV helps regulate melanin production, controlling brown spots and hyperpigmentation. Additionally, it acts as an exfoliant, promoting a brighter skin tone.
How to apply: Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 tablespoon of gram flour and add 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply the mixture to the under-eye pigmentation, leave it on for 10 minutes, massage the dry mask for 2 to 3 minutes, and then rinse your face.
- Mulethi (Licorice): Mulethi, a popular Ayurvedic remedy, possesses anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and anti-aging properties. Studies indicate its benefits in reducing wrinkles, fine lines, pigmentation symptoms, and preventing sun damage. It can also contribute to acne control and improved skin complexion.
How to apply: Create a paste by mixing licorice powder with turmeric, add rose water to achieve a smooth consistency, and apply it to your skin. Leave it on for 10–15 minutes. You can enhance this mixture by adding sandalwood powder for additional pigmentation removal benefits.
- Green Tea Bags: Placing green tea bags under the eyes helps reduce inflammation and puffiness. The high flavonoid content in green tea contributes to improved skin elasticity and may reduce dark circles and pigmentation.
How to apply: Brew green tea bags, let them cool, and place a bag under each eye for 10–15 minutes. Gently press the bags to release antioxidant-rich tea. Dispose of used tea bags and moisturize your skin.
- Potato Slices: Potato slices are a natural remedy for pigmentation due to their enzymes and vitamin C content. They can help lighten dark spots, even out skin tone, and provide nourishment to the skin.
How to apply: Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into slices. Apply rose water to potato slices and rub them on the under-eye blemishes. Alternatively, place raw potato slices on affected areas for 15-20 minutes.
- Papaya: Papaya, rich in enzymes and antioxidants, is known for addressing pigmentation issues by exfoliating dead skin cells and promoting an even skin tone. Its vitamin A and C content helps lighten pigmentation, while its moisturizing properties contribute to healthier skin.
How to apply: Mash a ripe papaya, add aloe vera gel, and mix well. Apply the mixture to affected areas, leaving it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing for spotless and glowing skin.